Why are there no Rosettes in an EA apron?

Rinesh Hegde

A MM apron has 3 Rosettes, a FC has 2, then why is it that an EA apron doesn't have any Rosette, shouldn't the natural way be have 1 Rosette as it is the first degree?

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Brother Rinesh-
Different jurisdictions have different protocols for apron appearance. My GL (AF&AM of NC, USA) dictates that the EA wears his apron with the flap turned up, FC with the left corner tucked up, and MMs with their aprons flowing free. We don't use rosettes.
When I visited London 15 years ago, I made arrangements to attend Lodge and see a Master Masons Degree. I took with me a plain white apron, as is our custom to wear. When the Master announced we would elevate from the EA degree to the FC degree there was grumbling that, as I was wearing an apron which appeared to them as an EA, I should excuse myself. The WM, hearing this, announced that the Brother from North Carolina, was indeed a MM, and we wore our aprons differently from them.

Rinesh Hegde

Brother Rinesh-
Different jurisdictions have different protocols for apron appearance. My GL (AF&AM of NC, USA) dictates that the EA wears his apron with the flap turned up, FC with the left corner tucked up, and MMs with their aprons flowing free. We don't use rosettes.
When I visited London 15 years ago, I made arrangements to attend Lodge and see a Master Masons Degree. I took with me a plain white apron, as is our custom to wear. When the Master announced we would elevate from the EA degree to the FC degree there was grumbling that, as I was wearing an apron which appeared to them as an EA, I should excuse myself. The WM, hearing this, announced that the Brother from North Carolina, was indeed a MM, and we wore our aprons differently from them.
Thank you very much for this info... didn't know that in USA all three degrees have the same apron just worn in a different manner. Will try to look for some photographs for the same.