MM Topic Alchemy, Hermetics, and the Kabbalah... Oh my!

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I was asked to explain in layman's terms the basics of these. Off the cuff, I decided to try and give my basic understanding of them and how they fit in Masonry. There are many Works out there that refer to these three schools and I wanted to share my perception of them. Keep in mind, that these are my interpretations and I'm only presenting them here for Masonic discourse.

I'll start with Alchemy. The basics are this...As you probably know it is an ancient form of what we would consider chemistry today. Back then, they believed that in order for transmutation (chemical change) to occur, the stars or planets needed to be in a certain position, and prayers had to be performed. Angelic influence was also a factor. each planet, constellation, and Angel had a specific purpose for the work at hand. The idea was to convert base metals into gold. To do this they believed that they could work with other materials to create what is known as the philosophers stone. The stone when used was a catalyst to convert metal into gold.That's the operative version. Now for the allegorical side of Alchemy. In a nutshell, as Mason's we work to better ourselves. We learn how to learn, Prepare to learn, and then move on to teach (mastery). It's basically a process that trains your brain to think differently. That's why the symbolism starts to make sense and take on an individual mean for you when you look at it. Speculative Alchemy is the process of that chemical change in your brain that creates the gold in your brain.

Now on to Hermetics-"As Above, So Below" redirects here.The concept was first laid out in The Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus, in the words "That which is Below corresponds to that which is Above, and that which is Above, corresponds to that which is Below, to accomplish the miracles of the One Thing".In accordance with the various levels of reality: physical, emotional, and mental, this relates that what happens on any level happens on every other. This is however more often used in the sense of the microcosm and the macrocosm. The microcosm is oneself, and the macrocosm is the universe. The macrocosm is as the microcosm, and vice versa; within each lies the other, and through understanding one (usually the microcosm) you can understand the other. In a nutshell, If you understand your internal self, you can then decipher the mysteries of the universe.

Now on to the Kabbalah... The Kabbalah is known as the tree of life and is supported by three pillars (sound familiar?). Attached to those pillars are 10 sephiroth;According to Lurianic cosmology, the Sefirot correspond to various levels of creation (ten sefirot in each of the Four Worlds, and four worlds within each of the larger four worlds, each containing ten sefirot, which themselves contain ten sefirot, to an infinite number of possibilities), and are emanated from the Creator for the purpose of creating the universe. The Sefirot are considered revelations of the Creator's will, and they should not be understood as ten different "gods" but as ten different ways the one God reveals His will through the Emanations. It is not God who changes but the ability to perceive God that changes.The 10 Sefirot, arranged into the 3 columns, with the 22 Paths of Connection of three typesAltogether 11 sefirot are named. However Keter and Daat are unconscious and conscious dimensions of one principle, conserving 10 forces. The names of the Sefirot in descending order are:Keter (supernal crown, representing above-conscious will)Chochmah (the highest potential of thought)Binah (the understanding of the potential)Daat (intellect of knowledge)Chesed (sometimes referred to as Gedolah-greatness) (loving-kindness)Gevurah (sometimes referred to as Din-justice or Pachad-fear) (severity/strength)Rachamim also known as Tiphereth (mercy)Netzach (victory/eternity)Hod (glory/splendour)Yesod (foundation)Malkuth (kingdom)Basically it's a study in Virtue, and Mastery of the Sephiroth improve your ability to understand the Micro/macrocosm that is life.

Feel free to discuss...

I was asked to explain in layman's terms the basics of these. Off the cuff, I decided to try and give my basic understanding of them and how they fit in Masonry. There are many Works out there that refer to these three schools and I wanted to share my perception of them. Keep in mind, that these are my interpretations and I'm only presenting them here for Masonic discourse.

I'll start with Alchemy. The basics are this...As you probably know it is an ancient form of what we would consider chemistry today. Back then, they believed that in order for transmutation (chemical change) to occur, the stars or planets needed to be in a certain position, and prayers had to be performed. Angelic influence was also a factor. each planet, constellation, and Angel had a specific purpose for the work at hand. The idea was to convert base metals into gold. To do this they believed that they could work with other materials to create what is known as the philosophers stone. The stone when used was a catalyst to convert metal into gold.That's the operative version. Now for the allegorical side of Alchemy. In a nutshell, as Mason's we work to better ourselves. We learn how to learn, Prepare to learn, and then move on to teach (mastery). It's basically a process that trains your brain to think differently. That's why the symbolism starts to make sense and take on an individual mean for you when you look at it. Speculative Alchemy is the process of that chemical change in your brain that creates the gold in your brain.

Now on to Hermetics-"As Above, So Below" redirects here.The concept was first laid out in The Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus, in the words "That which is Below corresponds to that which is Above, and that which is Above, corresponds to that which is Below, to accomplish the miracles of the One Thing".In accordance with the various levels of reality: physical, emotional, and mental, this relates that what happens on any level happens on every other. This is however more often used in the sense of the microcosm and the macrocosm. The microcosm is oneself, and the macrocosm is the universe. The macrocosm is as the microcosm, and vice versa; within each lies the other, and through understanding one (usually the microcosm) you can understand the other. In a nutshell, If you understand your internal self, you can then decipher the mysteries of the universe.

Now on to the Kabbalah... The Kabbalah is known as the tree of life and is supported by three pillars (sound familiar?). Attached to those pillars are 10 sephiroth;According to Lurianic cosmology, the Sefirot correspond to various levels of creation (ten sefirot in each of the Four Worlds, and four worlds within each of the larger four worlds, each containing ten sefirot, which themselves contain ten sefirot, to an infinite number of possibilities), and are emanated from the Creator for the purpose of creating the universe. The Sefirot are considered revelations of the Creator's will, and they should not be understood as ten different "gods" but as ten different ways the one God reveals His will through the Emanations. It is not God who changes but the ability to perceive God that changes.The 10 Sefirot, arranged into the 3 columns, with the 22 Paths of Connection of three typesAltogether 11 sefirot are named. However Keter and Daat are unconscious and conscious dimensions of one principle, conserving 10 forces. The names of the Sefirot in descending order are:Keter (supernal crown, representing above-conscious will)Chochmah (the highest potential of thought)Binah (the understanding of the potential)Daat (intellect of knowledge)Chesed (sometimes referred to as Gedolah-greatness) (loving-kindness)Gevurah (sometimes referred to as Din-justice or Pachad-fear) (severity/strength)Rachamim also known as Tiphereth (mercy)Netzach (victory/eternity)Hod (glory/splendour)Yesod (foundation)Malkuth (kingdom)Basically it's a study in Virtue, and Mastery of the Sephiroth improve your ability to understand the Micro/macrocosm that is life.

Feel free to discuss...
:1-sleep::1-sleep::1-sleep::1-sleep:

Are you sure you didnt make up some of these words???:4-dontknow:

Na.... good info, putting things into lay terms sometimes takes the "fear" of the unknown away.... BRAVO

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
:1-sleep::1-sleep::1-sleep::1-sleep:

Are you sure you didnt make up some of these words???:4-dontknow:

Na.... good info, putting things into lay terms sometimes takes the "fear" of the unknown away.... BRAVO
I didn't make any of them up. LOL... Some of the descriptions are borrowed from various sources, but I trimmed it down to a easily digestible summary.

I agree. Some guy I know said that "information is only inventory unless it is put to use." Since there has been some question on how these apply to Masonry, I thought I'd put a little Light on the subject.

My opinion is that that Pike was right when he said that these should be understood/ studied by Masons. My interpretation of that statement is not of their literal practice, but rather one of allegorical study.

I didn't make any of them up. LOL... Some of the descriptions are borrowed from various sources, but I trimmed it down to a easily digestible summary.
Good job too.....

My opinion is that that Pike was right when he said that these should be understood/ studied by Masons. My interpretation of that statement is not of their literal practice, but rather one of allegorical study.
Yup....

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Thanks. I don't expect much of a response to this thread here. It doesn't seem to be the type of material that is popular to discuss. I'll tell you what... If we get a good response to this thread, I'll show you my tattoo and Masonic ring!

It is important to any Craft Lodge Mason or Scottish Rite Mason. The symbolism of these schools is imbedded everywhere you look. Understanding what you are looking at is important so that you can find a practical application of it in your Work.

I will admit it is a bit of a confusing topic..... but I do hope you get a good response....

tattoos & rings..... hmmmmm.........

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
The Kabbalah was something I had heard about on a different forum but when I inquired about it to that poster his reponse was something out of the quantum physics level 21 textbook, and I didn't pursue it any further. Your "in a nutshell" explaination was so much easier to understand and digest and I thank you for it. It kind of makes some sense now.

FF Sparky

Nice work, which answered some of the questions that have ben stirring in my head. I did notice alittle Coachiness in your writing....Not a bad thing....lol

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
The Kabbalah was something I had heard about on a different forum but when I inquired about it to that poster his reponse was something out of the quantum physics level 21 textbook, and I didn't pursue it any further. Your "in a nutshell" explaination was so much easier to understand and digest and I thank you for it. It kind of makes some sense now.
These topics can be as simplistic or complex as you choose to make them. I decided it was time demystify them a bit. It would seem that those who talk about these subjects get a lot of pride out of their long winded explanations.

Nice work, which answered some of the questions that have ben stirring in my head. I did notice alittle Coachiness in your writing....Not a bad thing....lol
Thanks for the compliment! I don't want to come off as a clone of him though. I'd like to have my own identity when I write. I'll admit, he has inspired me to do my own research though.

Go ahead and ask the questions it didnt answer..... he aint skeerd....:1-say-no:
No, I ain't skeered, but I'll tell you up front that I don't have all of the answers either.

No, I ain't skeered, but I'll tell you up front that I don't have all of the answers either.
What ya dont know....just make up some long winded blow hard answer.... that seems to be what many do when asked about these topics...LOL.... Seriously, you may not know the answers but you dont pretend you do either.... that is fine.... you are pretty good at getting them though

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I been interested in learning more about Kabbalah, but dont know where/how to start
DISCLAIMER:

If anyone thinks that what I've shared is something they can "leap frog" to instead of doing the Work in the 3 degrees, They are VERY VERY wrong. These are considered advanced studies, and should not be looked at as something that you can just jump into.

I explained Alchemy, Hermetic's, and the Kabbalah in the order that I did for a reason. They build upon each other, just like the EA, FC, and MM degrees do. You cannot study the metaphysical without a very solid understanding of physics. Please read my signature regarding the importance of the 7 L&S's.

Now with that said, My recommendation to you would be to decide if you are going to study the Kabbalah from a theological or philosophical aspect. That will determine where you would begin studying.

Keep in mind that these study of these topics should be looked at as only a supplement to the Work you have completed in the 3 degrees. It's not a substitute for it. Without an understanding of the FC work, you are literally jumping into a lake with a concrete block tied around your neck.

FF Sparky

I realize this Brother Gary, I am looking for supplemental info, hopes to tie everything togehter. What I don't understand in one I may get from another

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Are you Timothy Hogan fan my chance?
I know who he is, and have seen some of his articles. I don't own any of his books, nor have I read them. He is very respected in the Alchemy community I'm told. I don't subscribe to all of his ideas (particularly the lab experiment part), but I find him to be a fine researcher from what little I know about him.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I know who he is, and have seen some of his articles. I don't own any of his books, nor have I read them. He is very respected in the Alchemy community I'm told. I don't subscribe to all of his ideas, but I find him to be a fine researcher from what little I know about him.
Was just wondering. I've read The Alchemical Keys to Masonic Ritual, and it seems some of what is said there was similar to what you wrote. I'm already back logged on my reading, even worse since picking up someones books, and this is the time of year when everyone gets me books.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Was just wondering. I've read The Alchemical Keys to Masonic Ritual, and it seems some of what is said there was similar to what you wrote. I'm already back logged on my reading, even worse since picking up someones books, and this is the time of year when everyone gets me books.
I've thought about reading some of his work, but I've been back logged myself. One can never have too many books!