Amazed at how master masons know

sebutler1234

I have a basic question, it seems that almost all master masons know the obligations, is this something that they practice all the time so that they dont forget it. Im a fellow craft now.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Brushing up on the Obligations and on the exams is always a good idea. It keeps you sharp incase you need to fill in somewhere so the practice of memorizing isn't foreign. Also if you mentor another Brother it will give you an edge not to look like the one who needs to study. I mouth along to every part of every degree. I have high hopes.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I have a basic question, it seems that almost all master masons know the obligations, is this something that they practice all the time so that they dont forget it. Im a fellow craft now.
I practice mine all the time, and I'll tell you why: in every degree there's a part where the question is asked (to paraphrase): "What's the single thing, that basic little bit, which makes a man a Mason?" And the answer? "The obligation!"

If you don't know your obligations (and not just well enough to parrot them back during examinations, I mean know them well enough to actually think about them, to compare them to how you run your life, to consider what they mean) then how can you call yourself a Mason? Our obligations are the thing that make us Masons. Nothing else does. Nothing.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Knowing it will also help you get into other Lodge you may want to visit, But PatrickWilliams is very right
Of course I'm right, Sparky. I'm EIEIO. If you wanna visit, however, come to Wisconsin: the only thing you need to get in the door is a valid dues card. :1-sigh:

CoachN

Builder Builder
I practice mine all the time, and I'll tell you why: in every degree there's a part where the question is asked (to paraphrase): "What's the single thing, that basic little bit, which makes a man a Mason?" And the answer? "The obligation!"

If you don't know your obligations (and not just well enough to parrot them back during examinations, I mean know them well enough to actually think about them, to compare them to how you run your life, to consider what they mean) then how can you call yourself a Mason? Our obligations are the thing that make us Masons. Nothing else does. Nothing.
Furthermore, it is how a man honors his Masonic Obligation that makes him a Mason and not just the Obligation itself. It is the Integrity of his actions and those Words.

$0.02

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Furthermore, it is how a man honors his Masonic Obligation that makes him a Mason and not just the Obligation itself. It is the Integrity of his actions and those Words.

$0.02
Exactly. Forgot that part. Living the obligation is even more important than knowing it. But to live it, one must first know it.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Of course I'm right, Sparky. I'm EIEIO. If you wanna visit, however, come to Wisconsin: the only thing you need to get in the door is a valid dues card. :1-sigh:
Knowing the Grip and Word make that transition past the Tyler easier as well. :1-winking:

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Despite being a Lecturer, I struggle with memory work. If I don't practice a piece periodically, I lose it. I have broken down the [NC] 7 hour lecturer exam into 28 parts, to have a little to work on daily.
It's only the 18th of the month, and I've somehow missed 6 days already!

S&F