An interesting situation - advice plz

dubw

In the early to mid 1980s I was initiated into the Masonic Lodge in the village where we lived. I was preparing for the first steps, was well tutored, and fully engaged ... but before I could go to the next meeting I was sent TDY to an international post. The temporary duty lasted til 1999; then off to other locations until I finally retired two years ago. For the last year I have been exploring getting re-involved with the Lodge, and after telling this story to the closest lodge hierarchy, I was directed back to my home lodge. Other than the fact it is a hundred miles away, I have not been able to get in touch with anyone there, though I have called numerous times. Needless to say, I have lost touch with names of men in the lodge. I imagine my petition is less than valid, now 25+ years later.

Any wise counsel?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Hmm , I don't know how it works in NC . Do members pay annual dues as Entered Apprentices and Fellowcrafts as they do in my jurisdiction ? If not , do they keep you on the rolls or do they drop you after a certain period of time if you do not advance through the degrees ?

If they dropped you then you may be allowed to repetition a new lodge .

You may need to get in contact with the Grand Lodge because there is most always someone there too answer calls and e-mail/mail , and they in turn can get in touch with your old lodge . Or at least see if the Grand Lodge can give you the address and or e-mail of the lodge secretary you are trying to contact .

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I think Ashlar hit it on the head. E-mail the grand lodge of your home lodge. They should be able to assist. Good luck too.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Ashlar has good advice. I would follow it. I believe in Florida, if you go more then a year between degrees, you have to repetition. I wish you luck in your travels and hope to see you around.

Michigan Mason

At my Lodge there was an E. A. who had many years between that and the F.C. Degree. Was not a problem for him to continue. I believe contact Grand Lodge and the Lodge holding petition just votes on continued worthyness. I have heard of this in other Lodges and it never was a problem to pick up where yo uleft off.. Good luck congrats for getting back to the Craft

Leo White

Advice

I am a member of the Schofield Lodge out of Hawaii and also in the Army, When I first joind the lodge the WM told me that the Grand Lodge understands that the Military members deploy and travel alot. So if you had a long break between degrees then the lodge would let the GL know about it and they would not be droped. Hope this helps

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
dubw- Looks like you're caught up in an interesting situation. As you've been advised, go to the Grand Lodge in the State where you were initiated. Write them a nice letter, explain your situation, and COPY THE LODGE WHERE YOU WERE INITIATED. Get the new lodge where you want to join involved. The secretary of the Lodge should be more than willing to write to the Grand Lodge of the State in which you were initiated asking for help.

Every jurisdiction has its quirks, but in essence: you are still the 'Masonic property' of the lodge where you were initiated no matter how long it's been since you had the degree. Then, your home lodge, with pressure from Grand, will have to do one of a couple of things:
1. They will completely release their jurisdiction over you. This will mean that you will have to start all over again, but that might not be a bad thing: it's been so many years since you had your EA, the refresher would be a good thing.
2. They will request that the Lodge where you are now continue your degree work as a courtesy to your home Lodge. This will mean that you will actually be joining the original Lodge that you petitioned and took your EA degree in, just taking the degree work somewhere else. Then, once raised to the degree of Master Mason, you could transfer your membership to this new Lodge, if desired, or even become a plural member, that is - holding membership in both Lodges. That, of course, is entirely up to you (within the rules of the Grand Lodges where you belong - some of them do not allow plural memberships). Good luck, my brother!

Winter

I've been here before
I just dealt with a similar situation here in WI. After being initiated, circumstances took him away. Three years later he wanted to go forward but he had been dropped for non-progress. He is repetitioning and has to go through the EA degree again.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I just dealt with a similar situation here in WI. After being initiated, circumstances took him away. Three years later he wanted to go forward but he had been dropped for non-progress. He is repetitioning and has to go through the EA degree again.
Really? The Wisconsin Masonic Code says: "76.03 An Entered Apprentice or Fellow Craft failing to present himself for advancement within one year must be posted and pass a satisfactory examination before being elected for advancement, and may attend a lodge opened in a degree he has received."

Additionally, 76.05 says: "If a candidate neglects for one year to present himself for initiation or advancement, a new ballot must be had which shall be secret and to be favorable must be three fourths clear."

So, being "in default" doesn't mean that you HAVE to start all over again here in Wisconsin. Did he want to start again? Did GL and your Lodge lose your record of his EA? I used to be Secretary of my Lodge here in Wisconsin, and I know from experience that once you get on the rolls as an EA, you never really get off of them.

Winter

I've been here before
Brother Patrick,

That's the way I read it as well. I have a feeling the Lodge he started in lost his paperwork when we switched to the new MORI system. I don't really see how a person can "redo" the initiation. Once you're an initiate, your an inititiate. It doesn't really make sense to me to go through a ritual that you have already gone through. How could it ever have the same impact.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Brother Patrick,

That's the way I read it as well. I have a feeling the Lodge he started in lost his paperwork when we switched to the new MORI system. I don't really see how a person can "redo" the initiation. Once you're an initiate, your an inititiate. It doesn't really make sense to me to go through a ritual that you have already gone through. How could it ever have the same impact.
Ah, there's the answer: he started in another Lodge within our jurisdiction. So, to be advanced as a member in default, his old Lodge would have had to vote that he continue, then request that you continue his work as a courtesy to them and he would have ended up as a member of that old Lodge and would have had to then transfer his membership to y'all. Yes, I can see where our dear Grand Secretary would just rather have you start him all over again. It would save a lot of paperwork and potential headaches.

AND I know that a lot of our Lodges, pre-MORI, did not report candidates at all until they were raised. So it's quite possible that GL never had a record of the guy in BLIS and his advancement would depend entirely on the records that his home Lodge could still find.

Winter

I've been here before
Exactly. He wasn't joining my Lodge though. I was merely working as an intermediary since I was Master of the Lodge at the time when he was initiated. I've since moved to the Milwaukee area and am not active in that Lodge anymore, though I keep my dues there as well.

And you are right, pre-MORI we never reported new Brothers to GL till they were Raised.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Exactly. He wasn't joining my Lodge though. I was merely working as an intermediary since I was Master of the Lodge at the time when he was initiated. I've since moved to the Milwaukee area and am not active in that Lodge anymore, though I keep my dues there as well.

And you are right, pre-MORI we never reported new Brothers to GL till they were Raised.
Ah. I was a pre-MORI secretary and I DID report everyone (or almost everyone) as soon as there was something to report. I was always up to my neck in Pink Forms.

So ... you're in Milwaukee? Racine is just South of you. Come for a visit!

Brother Liberty

Service Officer
Last year we raised a new master mason that had been a fellowcraft for 28 years. He had a similar story as you, moving and such. He retired and wanted to get back involved. In MA, he did not have to repeat his degrees.

Definetely contact Grand Lodge, they should have a record of you and know exactly what the next step is.

I must also say I am somewhat disappointed in the lodge you went to looking for help. If someone comes knocking, a lodge should bend over backwards to engage them and make them feel as part of the fraternity. Especially since you were already entered.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
In the early to mid 1980s I was initiated into the Masonic Lodge in the village where we lived. I was preparing for the first steps, was well tutored, and fully engaged ... but before I could go to the next meeting I was sent TDY to an international post. The temporary duty lasted til 1999; then off to other locations until I finally retired two years ago. For the last year I have been exploring getting re-involved with the Lodge, and after telling this story to the closest lodge hierarchy, I was directed back to my home lodge. Other than the fact it is a hundred miles away, I have not been able to get in touch with anyone there, though I have called numerous times. Needless to say, I have lost touch with names of men in the lodge. I imagine my petition is less than valid, now 25+ years later.

Any wise counsel?
Brother Dubw- (and you ARE my Brother as an EA)
I am a North Carolina Mason, and will become (10th) District Deputy Grand Lecturer a week from today. I have coached many candidates, some who fell away and then came back when interests or life situations changed.
In NC the CODE requires that any candidate who has not progressed to the next degree in 6 months (military service excepted, but you've had 2 years since retiring) must request an extension. That it's been 25 years is irrelevant.
If you can contact the lodge secretary, he will undoubtedly rush to get you the form (Form 22, Application for Advancement). If you are not local to the lodge now, another lodge, even in another jurisdiction, can perform 'courtesy work.'
If you have any difficulty, please contact me directly, by my email listed below.

S&F
jrfranks@USA.NET

robmei2

I believe if you contact your Grand Lodge, specifically the Grand Sec. He will pull your Masonic record and advise you how to get up-to-date. This will involve paying dues and possibly re-petitioning for admission. Then you should be able to proceed with your degrees at the local lodge.

Given the reason for your incomplete degrees, there should be no problem.

i'm sure your Grand Lodge has a web site with email for the Grand Secretary.

robmei2
Lansdowne Lodge #711