Anyone build scale models?

G

Gary

I've been under quite a bit of stress lately, So I decided to do something I haven't done in 20+ years. I decided to build a model.

Since the Space Shuttle program is officially no more, I bought a 1/144 scale kit of the Shuttle with the booster rockets and external tank. It sits on a mobile launch platform. I've been working on it for about two weeks now.

I chose to do a replica of STS-107. That was Columbia's final flight before she and her crew were lost upon re-entry.

The kits are generic, and having OCD/being anal retentive, I ordered extra detailed decals for the project to make it as accurate as I could.

I've got most all of the painting done, and am working on the orbiter details. The tanks will get detailed soon.

If anyone is interested I'll try and post some pics of my progress. Anyone else do this for a hobby?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I used to , sailing ships mostly . Now that you brought it up I may jump back into it . The last model I completed was the "Queen Anne's Revenge" , Blackbeard's flag ship . It was perfect and I knocked off the top of my bookshelf and it went to pieces .

I know I will take some heat for this , lol , But I have a lot of nervous energy and it builds up and I start stressing out . I was bouncing off the walls one day so I picked up one of my nieces crayons and coloring books and started coloring . It focused my mind and gave my hands something to do and I calmed right down . I now keep my own crayons and coloring books in the house .

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I used to , sailing ships mostly . Now that you brought it up I may jump back into it . The last model I completed was the "Queen Anne's Revenge" , Blackbeard's flag ship . It was perfect and I knocked off the top of my bookshelf and it went to pieces .

I know I will take some heat for this , lol , But I have a lot of nervous energy and it builds up and I start stressing out . I was bouncing off the walls one day so I picked up one of my nieces crayons and coloring books and started coloring . It focused my mind and gave my hands something to do and I calmed right down . I now keep my own crayons and coloring books in the house .
Thanks for that insight, Ash!
I have a few patients (I'm a P.A. in psychiatry) who tell me they color; I always ask about activities. I wasn't sure what to make of it before.

S&F

G

Gary

No heat here... LOL I can completely understand why you do it. That's exactly why I picked up the model. The Shuttle isn't turning out perfect, but it will be presentable. My next effort will be better. I'l have had practice. LOL

The Queen Annes Revenge sounds like it was a beautiful model. Maybe you should rebuild the kit again.

My wife asked where in the house I planned on putting my Shuttle when I complete it. I answered "in my office at work". She thought that was a very good answer... :eek: (It's currently hogging space on my dining room table!)

I have a few patients (I'm a P.A. in psychiatry) who tell me they color; I always ask about activities. I wasn't sure what to make of it before.

S&F
You must be having a field day with psycho analysis on this forum. :eek:

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia

S&F
I told my psychiatrist at the VA that I color in coloring books and she loved the idea . She has now passed it on to other patients . She told me a few balked at the idea at first and thought of it as childish until they had given it a try and found it did work . It works better than some of the medicines I have tried for anxiety .

As I stated above , It focuses the mind , the more intricate the coloring book the better , and is extremely calming . While coloring , you forget about everything that is bothering you .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
No heat here... LOL I can completely understand why you do it. That's exactly why I picked up the model. The Shuttle isn't turning out perfect, but it will be presentable. My next effort will be better. I'l have had practice. LOL

The Queen Annes Revenge sounds like it was a beautiful model. Maybe you should rebuild the kit again.

You must be having a field day with psycho analysis on this forum. :eek:
I am thinking about getting a new model of "Queen Anne's Revenge" , I loved that model AND the finished product . It took me forever to paint every single little piece and put it together properly . I am a nut for anything pirate and the days of sailing the seas with nothing but the wind to propel the ships .

Zack

As I stated above , It focuses the mind , the more intricate the coloring book the better , and is extremely calming . While coloring , you forget about everything that is bothering you .
Thanks Ashlar. I have found myself, several times, while coloring with my g-kids continuing to color after they stopped and wondered why. Now I know.

G

Gary

Who knew this would turn into a therapy thread. LOL

It's funny how things like this can be just the distraction we need to calm our minds and focus.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to break this model apart because I glued something wrong. Oddly, I haven't become frustrated, I just keep plugging away at it. Working with your hands often does that.

Our District Instructor is a very talented wood worker. He makes gavels/mauls etc., that he gives away as awards and gifts. I often wonder if he views his hobby the same way. Busy hands calm the mind.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
You know , I can not remember getting upset when I made a mistake when putting my models together . I would simply fix the problem the best way I could . And I can be hot tempered when things do not go just right for me .

Winter

I've been here before
Your space shuttle looks great Brother! I have always loved anything to do with the shuttle program. I watched Challenger launch when I was in the 7th grade at Madeira Beach Middle School and when I was on Active Duty in the USAF I was was on the AFFTC Shuttle Recovery Team at Edwards AFB and worked on 9 space shuttle missions.

I've done quite a bit of model building as an avid tabletop wargammer. Is it a scale model if it never really existed? ;)

G

Gary

Thanks Bro. Winter! It was certainly a labor of love. I've followed the program since it's development in the early 70's.

My uncle used to work For Rockwell International, and his team built the avionics/GPS systems for the shuttle. He lived on the space coast, and I got to watch the second launch from Satellite beach. I'll never forget the ground shaking from 20 miles away from the pad. It rolled right over the beach. Man was it close!!!

To answer your question, Yes it's scale if it represents a ratio to actual size (fictional or not). But then you knew that... ;)

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I told my psychiatrist at the VA that I color in coloring books and she loved the idea . She has now passed it on to other patients . She told me a few balked at the idea at first and thought of it as childish until they had given it a try and found it did work . It works better than some of the medicines I have tried for anxiety .

Wow! Now I am starting to think of the mental state I work on getting into, when I shoot my black powder rifle. I try to get entirely focused on the process, doing exactly the same steps in exactly the same way;
loading,
checking,
carrying the rifle to the line,
laying rifle down,
laying down,
setting percussion cap,
getting arms into aiming position,
target acquisition,
breath control,
squeeze trigger,
roll off position,
pick up rifle,
carry to bench,
clean,
repeat.

I think of it as getting into the zen of shooting.

S&F

G

Gary

Thanks. The picture doesn't do it justice. I added more details to it after I took the picture. Some of the decals were so small I had to use a magnifying glass to make sure I was putting them on properly. It looks even better now.

The external tank that the Shuttle sits on was the hardest to get right. It's hard because it isn't just orange like you would think. The tank is actually an off white, and it oxidizes when it's exposed to the sun. The color was actually done with spray cans. I wound up using three different colors to get it right.

I think I have put in about 20 hours into the project. I can take some other pictures to show you the details if you'd like. It isn't perfect, but I'm pretty pleased with it.

G

Gary

Bukeye, As promised, here are some other pictures. I took the model to work for display in my office, so I apologize if the pictures are crap. I had to use my phone.