MM Topic Appendant bodies with esoteric traditions

Paramemetic

Hello brethren!

I am writing to ask if anyone knows of or is involved with recognized appendant bodies which have esoteric leanings. As many of you may know, many other organizations have their roots in Freemasonry, including the former Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn and the Ordo Templi Orientis. However, neither of these bodies are recognized as Masonic any longer. While I have no reason to believe membership in them would constitute a breach of Masonic protocol (Golden Dawn is no more, and OTO no longer claims to teach Masonry), I would like to pursue these kinds of studies building upon the structure of my Masonic edifice within the Masonic tradition and among my brethren. As far as I can tell, the only organization that may have these leanings is the Societas Rosicruciana, which is invite only. Does anyone know of others?

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
You might want to check out the Rectified Scottish Rite or the Societas Rosicruciana in Civitatibus Foederatis (SRICF). The Grand College of Rites also studies all the dead and unrecognized Masonic Rites.

Paramemetic

Thanks for your response, Brother. Does SRICF still practice the esoteric bits? In either case, it appears to be invitational only, and operating under the York Rite, through which I have not been.

In looking at the Rectified Scottish Rite, I see a lot of information about potentially Martinist rites that seem to be deeply involved in some politicking originating from a dispute about regularity. What I certainly don't want to do is receive degrees that may be problematic if they are to be considered clandestine! I have yet to look at the Grand College of Rites, I will do that shortly.

Winter

I've been here before
If you're looking for esotericism, the first three degrees alone should give you enough to chew on for years. There is a vast depth to Craft Masonry that the majority of Brothers never bother to even glance at. Start there. If nothing else, it should give you a better foundation for further study.

I would also highly recommend a basic study of alchemy. Esoteric study can be difficult owing to the vast body of rubbish out there. Be aware of this.

Winter

I've been here before
Yeah. I've been slacking since I've been working insane hours lately.

I would also add a study of the history of Hermeticism since it had a big influence on the Western Mystery Tradition.