Are you a Turtle?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I was asked this by someone the other day, and did not understand it. So, off to google I go and I found this. Seems interesting.

Many members of America's great fraternal organizations, such as the Shriners, Masons, Elks, and American Legionnaires, are familiar with that age-old query, "Are you a Turtle?" Sometimes, one sees a green-shelled turtle lapel pin or tie tac, or even an auto decal with a grinning turtle asking the same question. But what or who are the Turtles, you ask?

Quite simply, the Turtles are a drinking fraternity that exists in the United States of America as a fun-and-honor group usually within the local lodge or post, sort of a side degree. It traces its honorable origins back to the Second World War, on January 12, 1943 in an English pub, when a group of fighter pilots formed a semisecret drinking fraternity among its squadron's members, and put prospective candidates for membership through a mock initiation.

Having no dues nor initiation fee, the Turtles simply ask new members to go out and recruit new members.
Masonic Turtle Pin

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
No , and I have asked this same question in my local lodges and I am yet to find one who is a Turtle even with the Shriners . I don't know anyone who is in that little club .

dax

No, I am not a turtle. I thought it was a funny question, I didn't know that a drinking fraternity exists like that. What kind of beverage does a Turtle candidate drink?

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I'm not a turtle, but if I'm not mistaken, I've heard the response you are supposed to give when asked..... Are you a turtle?.... "you bet your sweet a$$ I am" is supposedly the response you are to give.

McCloud

The only sweet ass I know of is my wife's:D I'm out because I've been sober [excluding Super Bowls] for 10 years now. I guess that makes me a roadrunner?