Banking options

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I don't know about you, but I'm pretty well fed up with the fees and charges that are being levied upon bank accounts these days.

My bank charges me every time I use my debit, a fee for "account maintenance" whatever that is, and a host of other little incidentals. To top it off, there is little or no interest accrued. I'm paying them to take my money... :(

I have decided to open an online account with Ally bank. Has anyone dealt with them before? They advertise everywhere online (including here). Account set up was easy, and pretty painless. They also have interest bearing checking//savings accounts and virtually no fees! Sounds too good to be true, but time will tell.

I'd like to hear from anyone else that has experience with them.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
I will say that when I was a teller (a year ago) they talked of phasing out all free checking accounts. The only way to wave things like min. balance was to have ACH deposit. The debit fee normally was only charged if you used your debit card as a debit not a credit card. When used as a debit some banks like to charge fee because some places will let you get cash back so they're mssing out on a non-(insert your bank name here) ATM. IDK about anybody else but WaMu was doing the same thing a few years ago and they collasped (other reasons involed too). I'm always more comfortable with people than doing it online.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
They have 24 hour phone service. You actually talk to a human. I'm taking baby steps with this venture, but so far so good.

They beat the credit union/ bank rates too.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
They have 24 hour phone service. You actually talk to a human. I'm taking baby steps with this venture, but so far so good.

They beat the credit union/ bank rates too.
Cool, most of my money is in the kids names for college so I have need for any other banking. :(

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I use ING for savings. I keep enough in my checking to cover the months bills. ING I've been disappointed in their savings rates lately though, but they are better then what is now Wells Fargo.

I'm looking into how I can get into a credit union. They tend to have better rates and services anyway. One site I visit had someone getting 6% interest rate, although it was only on the first $500. The rest was around 1%.

I would love to get to the point where I can do yearly CDs, one expiring every 2 weeks.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I use ING for savings. I keep enough in my checking to cover the months bills. ING I've been disappointed in their savings rates lately though, but they are better then what is now Wells Fargo.

I'm looking into how I can get into a credit union. They tend to have better rates and services anyway. One site I visit had someone getting 6% interest rate, although it was only on the first $500. The rest was around 1%.

I would love to get to the point where I can do yearly CDs, one expiring every 2 weeks.

I looked at the credit unions. The rates with Ally were better. I may wind up not liking them (Ally), who knows. I'm going to tinker with some small sums of money to see how well it works out.

As far as joining one, check out Suncoast Schools, and RIFCU. they have lists of accepted businesses, and the also allow companies to enroll and participate with them.

Yearly CD's would be cool. I'd like to do that too.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board

I looked at the credit unions. The rates with Ally were better. I may wind up not liking them (Ally), who knows. I'm going to tinker with some small sums of money to see how well it works out.

As far as joining one, check out Suncoast Schools, and RIFCU. they have lists of accepted businesses, and the also allow companies to enroll and participate with them.

Yearly CD's would be cool. I'd like to do that too.
Make sure that those CD's are actually earning you something. I would have lists of cold calls to make telling people their CD was maturing trying to get them into an investment or to even just hold it because the rate vs tax wasn't worth it.