Daytona wins bid to host Shriners in 2017

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
DAYTONA BEACH -- A sea of red fez hats swarmed Victory Lane at Daytona International Speedway as local leaders announced a tourism triumph for the area.
Shriners International will bring its national convention -- along with 15,000 to 20,000 people and about $8 million in economic impact -- to Daytona Beach in July 2017, Shriners officials and community leaders announced Monday afternoon. Daytona Beach will become the smallest city to host the event.
"It's a victory for our community, it's a victory for our county, it's a victory for the Shriners," Daytona Beach Mayor Glenn Ritchey said to a crowd of about 200 locals, including 60 Shriners.

more Daytona wins bid to host Shriners in 2017 - News

Shriner Daytona 500 mini car style! How long will it take to go around the track?

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I frequent Myrtle Beach, SC, at least quarterly in my time-share. Some of the locals had some pretty negative comments about the Southeastern Shrine Association meetings held there for many years.
I mentioned this to an acquaintance of mine in the Shrine, "He!!, I'm spending good money there. If I want to ride my Harley down the hall of the hotel, I will!"

[sigh...]

S&F

barbarachrista

Syracuse -- Easter came early this morning for some local residents.

Members of a local fraternal organization dropped off 100 Easter baskets at three community centers.

Members of the Masonic Lodge Konosioni No. 950 dropped baskets off at o the Northeast Community Center, the David Klim Learning Center and St. Francis.

Member Rocco Bufano came up with the idea to give out baskets during the holidays nearly 30 years ago.

The baskets include fresh and packaged food, plus some candy.

Carl Bliss, the lodge’s secretary, said it’s the organization’s way of giving just a little extra something during the holidays.