Divorce, Freemasonry problematic for Anglo-Catholics

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
FREEMASON membership, divorce and re-marriage have emerged as potential stumbling blocks for Anglicans seeking to enter the Catholic Church via an Ordinariate.

Melbourne Auxiliary Bishop Peter Elliott, the Holy See’s delegate for the Anglican Ordinariate in Australia, said at an Ordinariate festival in Melbourne on 11 June that divorced and remarried Anglicans should seek Catholic Canon Law advice before they try to enter the Church.
Addressing a “delicate but unavoidable issue”, the prelate urged Ordinariate-bound Anglicans who have remarried after divorce “to take your situation to a diocesan marriage tribunal so that your reconciliation in the Ordinariate will in no way be impeded next year”.
“Even if you received an Anglican permission to re-marry, this will need to be evaluated carefully to see if this conforms to Catholic requirements,” Bishop Elliott, a former Anglican, said. “However, I have been assured that Catholic Canon Law is followed in the Traditional Anglican Communion, which should facilitate matters for members of the TAC when they approach a tribunal.”
Regarding membership of a Masonic lodge, the prelate said that, “in spite of what you might hear from time to time, Catholics are not permitted to be Freemasons”.

more therecord.com.au - Divorce, Freemasonry problematic for Anglo-Catholics

G

Gary

FREEMASON membership, divorce and re-marriage have emerged as potential stumbling blocks for Anglicans seeking to enter the Catholic Church via an Ordinariate.

Melbourne Auxiliary Bishop Peter Elliott, the Holy See’s delegate for the Anglican Ordinariate in Australia, said at an Ordinariate festival in Melbourne on 11 June that divorced and remarried Anglicans should seek Catholic Canon Law advice before they try to enter the Church.
Addressing a “delicate but unavoidable issue”, the prelate urged Ordinariate-bound Anglicans who have remarried after divorce “to take your situation to a diocesan marriage tribunal so that your reconciliation in the Ordinariate will in no way be impeded next year”.
“Even if you received an Anglican permission to re-marry, this will need to be evaluated carefully to see if this conforms to Catholic requirements,” Bishop Elliott, a former Anglican, said. “However, I have been assured that Catholic Canon Law is followed in the Traditional Anglican Communion, which should facilitate matters for members of the TAC when they approach a tribunal.”
Regarding membership of a Masonic lodge, the prelate said that, “in spite of what you might hear from time to time, Catholics are not permitted to be Freemasons”.

more therecord.com.au - Divorce, Freemasonry problematic for Anglo-Catholics
Depending on who you talk to it's permitted. I know some Catholic Brothers who are active in Lodges and their respective churches. WEOFM is going to have a lecture about this subject on 6/18/11. It's certainly a touchy subject.

Winter

I've been here before
Doesn't matter what Catholic "official" says they do not have a problem. Benedict has made his stance on the matter very clear. A Catholic who holds membership in the Freemasons is in a grave state of sin and forbidden from recieving communion. In fact, a Brother who ignores the Papal decision and still recieves communion can invalidate the communion of other Catholics in attendance.

Doesn't matter what Catholic "official" says they do not have a problem. Benedict has made his stance on the matter very clear. A Catholic who holds membership in the Freemasons is in a grave state of sin and forbidden from recieving communion. In fact, a Brother who ignores the Papal decision and still recieves communion can invalidate the communion of other Catholics in attendance.
Benedict's running around actually thinking that he'sGod's voice on earth. I wonder who's really in a grave state of sin.......

Disgruntled and divorced and remarried with no-ones permission except the State of Minnesota Catholic, and Happy Freemason!

Winter

I've been here before
Benedict's running around actually thinking that he'sGod's voice on earth. I wonder who's really in a grave state of sin.......

Disgruntled and divorced and remarried with no-ones permission except the State of Minnesota Catholic, and Happy Freemason!
Church law does say he's the Vicar of Christ! Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not Catholic!) but doesn't that mean that he speaks for G-d here on Earth? I've always wondered how The Church feels about jursidictions making decisions that are contrary to the rulings of the Holy See.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Church law does say he's the Vicar of Christ! Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not Catholic!) but doesn't that mean that he speaks for G-d here on Earth? I've always wondered how The Church feels about jursidictions making decisions that are contrary to the rulings of the Holy See.
I doubt the Baptists, Methodists, Seventh Day Adventists, or Latter Day Saints consider him at that level of authority.
Us Lutherans (ELCA) don't!

S&F

Winter

I've been here before
I doubt the Baptists, Methodists, Seventh Day Adventists, or Latter Day Saints consider him at that level of authority.
Us Lutherans (ELCA) don't!

S&F
We're only talking about Catholics here and the Pope's view of Masons versus local priests.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
When I did WBro Ed's memorial service, the Roman Catholic Church sent over a Deacon (they don't have enough priests), who did his bit, while the Masons waited in an adjacent room, then he immediately left, so he wouldn't be there for our ceremony.
We've got a couple of other Masons in our lodge who are RC, one is in the chairs.

I guess on our local level it is DADT! :D

S&F