Facebook anyone?

Don

I'd like to thank everyone who has checked in so far. If you're traveling and don't have a lot of time this electronic stuff isn't so bad.
Along the same lines, what do you think about lodges having websites and social networking sites? I think its a good way to show ourselves to the public and possibly increase membership. Our next project is to set up the router so we can go wireless within the lodge.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I'd like to thank everyone who has checked in so far. If you're traveling and don't have a lot of time this electronic stuff isn't so bad.
Along the same lines, what do you think about lodges having websites and social networking sites? I think its a good way to show ourselves to the public and possibly increase membership. Our next project is to set up the router so we can go wireless within the lodge.
We have had this discussion before here . I think it is all according to the makeup of your lodge . My lodge does not have a web site or FB page and we are very busy , we are growing and thriving , and are not hurting for petitions .

My second Lodge has a Facebook account , but I do not know if it gets any visitors as none of us visit it and we have not had any petitioners mention that they have found us through Facebook .

Don

Interesting. I see that geography and demographics would play a big part in the response. My thinking, and you threw a logical wrench in that, is younger men would be "plugged in" just as a generational thing. I see that it wasn't correct to make that broad of a generalization.
That being said, it looks like all the Grand Lodges (US) have at least a web page, and MD also has a Facebook page. Again though, I can see how where you're at can play a major part.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
My GL has both a web site and FB page also .

Now my second lodge is a city lodge and many of the younger members are "plugged in" as many of their jobs demand it but Freemasonry is not something they look into on the internet .

jaya

I wrote something about this on my blog a little while back. It is a little long to put in the forum. Check out THIS LINK for the entire thing.

Basically, I think that the internet plays a key role in the growth and existance of freemasonry. It does not matter if the lodge is made up of younger or older members or man that do or do not use the internet. I found my lodge using the internet and know many others that have as well. I have not opened a phone book in probably 10 years.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
I wrote something about this on my blog a little while back. It is a little long to put in the forum. Check out THIS LINK for the entire thing.

Basically, I think that the internet plays a key role in the growth and existance of freemasonry. It does not matter if the lodge is made up of younger or older members or man that do or do not use the internet. I found my lodge using the internet and know many others that have as well. I have not opened a phone book in probably 10 years.
I think it shows we are willing to keep up with the times. The only increased traffic we see however is from existing Brothers.

jaya

That might be possibly true. However, you are talking about facebook. What most of us are seeing around here is that facebook is used by existing brothers. Very rarely we get a question from facebook from a prospective member. Where we see the benefit from non-masons is from a website. We do get prospective members contact the lodge that find our contact information from our website. The phonebook is rapidly becoming something of a dinosaur. More and more people are using the internet to find phone numbers and contact information. That being the case, it is becoming more and more important to have at least a simple website that has location of your lodge, meeting times, and contact information. Even if people do not use the internet at home, many have smart phones that can look up information.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
We also have a Lodge website that we use, a bi-monthly trestleboard we send out to all members (a lot in FL and AZ) and FB. We also have our answering machine with the month's upcoming items. Yet we still intake most our petitions from friends of brothers or by recommendation of a Brother that this is a good and closer lodge. Not to say it doesn't help when I'm talking to prospects they enjoy that we're into the modern world but have a mystique to us.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Everything is posted on my GL web site . Looking for a lodge ? The lodge locator has every lodge in the state with all the contact information . So instead of hundreds of websites for every lodge in the state (as some have proposed be mandatory ) littering the internet to go through , you can one stop shop . Just click on the County you live in , then pick your town/area .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Everything is posted on my GL web site . Looking for a lodge in Ky ? The lodge locator has every lodge in the state with all the contact information . So instead of hundreds of websites for every lodge in the state (as some have proposed be mandatory ) littering the internet to go through , you can one stop shop . Just click on the County you live in , then pick your town/area .
The Wisconsn GL website is well done, however I see the need for Lodge site for local news, newsletters, and events. Google Calendars has some interesting abilities to link calendars to other calendars for a combined view.

We need to communicate better with eah other and the public, one Lodge has an Iphone/Android APP that links to their website.