Family music

intent

One of my interests is music. I have always just played on my own but I have had the most joyful music sessions lately. My daughter found my old recorder (back from when I was a kid!) and she has been learning to play it! Yesterday she got to play it for her whole class! I was so proud of her!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
That is great . I remember when I picked up one of my Dad's harmonicas when I was young . I took to it like fish to water and still play them to this day .

sukie

That's lovely. I played the recorder as a child and it was such fun. My husband now plays guitar and we sing together. Music is great when it can be shared.:D

thebrianmo

I've slowly been learning to play the Djembe. A lot of times just free styling for stress relief, other times actually learning the right "slaps" for the 4/4 time for various songs. I am highly interested in getting a trap (drum) set for Christmas or early next year and really investing more time in learning to play the drums.

G

Gary

I've been drumming since high school. I highly recommend that you continue practice with your Djembe. I have an Ashiko (similar to the Djembe) that I love to play. They are fun and portable!

My wife sings, and my older son plays guitar. I play the bass guitar a little.
Music is definitely a part of our family... I think my infant son is going to be a drummer. He absolutely LOVES beating on stuff, and he goes crazy any time he hears drumming.:D

Necktie

That is great

I never learned to play an instrument but I have read that starting young is the best way to help make it an enjoyable experience. My kids play the trumpet and clarinet. I really love hearing them play.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I have been known to torture cats musically (shorthand for saying I play the bagpipes). Some of my neighbors have asked (not all kindly, either) if there's any way I could play them any quieter. My response? No, but I can't play them any louder, either. ;)

Some of my Masonic brothers & I have talked about putting together music for the Lodge played on the pipes. I must admit that the idea of sneaking up behind a candidate and starting up the pipes has its cruel appeal!

G

Gary

The pipes are music to my ears. There is a guy who works at my Fire department and is the piper for our Honor Guard. He practices in the apparatus bay with the doors open. The neighbors can hear him for miles...:D

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
The pipes are music to my ears. There is a guy who works at my Fire department and is the piper for our Honor Guard. He practices in the apparatus bay with the doors open. The neighbors can hear him for miles...:D
Yes. The pipes are surely an outdoor instrument. Our Lodge building was constructed in 1923 and the Lodge rooms are LARGE (when the structure was erected there were more than 2000 Masons in my town!). I've been asked to play my pipes for Jobie installations, and let me tell you, the pipes fill the room. Uncomfortably so, sometimes. Bagpipes are best enjoyed out of doors.

Necktie

The pipes

While I do not play any instruments myself I must admit that I love the bagpipes. I don't know why, just something about that really sooths me.

G

Gary

You joke about that. When My son was 4 months old, my wife brought him to one of our FD Honor Guard details. Retirement of a chief.

Anyhoo, the pipes were marched right past my sleeping son, and he didn't so much as flinch. He had heard the pipes regularly (I mean nearly daily) in-eutero.

So to him they ARE soothing... :D:D:D

Starlight

I have always sang since I was in the first grade. I direct the choir at my church and my little girls are following my foot steps. I sometimes get a lump on my throat when I see them imitating me when I direct the choir. We are always singing and it definitely makes us happy.

berthemp

I am a former touring harmonica player, and play drums for my church group. I have been threatening to learn the bagpipes. We are putting together a Law Enforcement/Fire Fighter degree team and thought it would be cool to have pipes. May have to settle for recordings of pipes though. Between work, family and the lodge, I don't know when I would get to practice.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I have been known to torture cats musically (shorthand for saying I play the bagpipes). Some of my neighbors have asked (not all kindly, either) if there's any way I could play them any quieter. My response? No, but I can't play them any louder, either. ;)

Some of my Masonic brothers & I have talked about putting together music for the Lodge played on the pipes. I must admit that the idea of sneaking up behind a candidate and starting up the pipes has its cruel appeal!
[begin Scottish burr]
A Gentleman is one who can play the bagpipes...but doesn't.
[end Scottish burr]

:D