Felony and drug addiction?

arhilbert

With my recent Spiritual enlightenment I feel I’ve been led to freemasonry by my Higher Power. I find fellowship spiritually fulfilling and I’m trying to determine if I should, or, if I’m able to petition to become Mason.

*I have been convicted of a felony (counterfeiting money) at age 18, I’m now 23.
*From age 16 until 6 months ago I’ve battled with drug addiction.

As stated I had a Spiritual Awakening that is enabling me to be a more aware to my surroundings and subconsciousness. I was also able to subdue my addiction with the power of other fellowships such as NA and Church. I’m now looking to expand my realm of Wisdom and Fellowship to Freemasonry.

I want to petition but I feel I will not be accepted due to my past. I was an unguided youth who made mistakes. I am now seeking guidance, and sincerely want to better myself and the ones around me.

So this brings me to my question, will my past eliminate any chance of a petition getting accepted?

FF Sparky

It depends on the Lodge. But if you petition and explain yourself as you did it may help and being around brothers will help you stay on the right track. I had a questionable past, and I was accepted.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
It depends on the Lodge. But if you petition and explain yourself as you did it may help and being around brothers will help you stay on the right track. I had a questionable past, and I was accepted.
Being open and honest about your journey will go a long way. If you need too do, write notes so that you can articulate yourself well, your entry here was not bad..

The felony will depend on where you live.... but do not lie...and try to hide it, because it will be found out, and lying will end it from the get go...

Azpir8king

Own what you have done. Make sure the Brothers you talk to know that you truly own your mistakes and accept responsibility. You are wanting to begin your journey with a group of men YOU want to trust implicitly to be honest and forthright with you....and they have that expectation in return. Anything less and you have shortchanged and demeaned the experience, as well as the Fraternity. Remember, "It wasn't REALLY my fault...." will not sit well........

Winter

I've been here before
I'm going to be brutally honest here. If you have been clean only six months as you overcome your drug addiction, I would recommend you focus on that instead.

arhilbert

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions and responses!
Winter, Thanks for your brutal honesty ;)
After talking with my Higher Power about petitioning I feel I'm going to hold out for a while and focus on my recovery.
I know Freemasonry does not need to be rushed into.

I have other questions now that I've made this decision:
What can I do in the meantime to improve my chances of a petition getting accepted in the future?
To my knowledge I don't know any Freemasons. Would it be acceptable to contact my local lodge now to see if they have any public events I could attend to allow them to get to know me better?

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Would it be acceptable to contact my local lodge now to see if they have any public events I could attend to allow them to get to know me better?
Very much so. See if they have a website, call the Lodge, email the secretary.

AngelicHuman

I got arrested when i was 19.12 years ago, the passenger in my car had a very small bag of pot on him. I was arrested and charged also. I got 6 months probation for it. I have another time 6 years ago where i was playing paintball with a friend on private property. I was never arrested just my name taken, but somehow 2 weeks later i got a letter int he mail saying i was arrested for trespass and had to appear in court. The charge was dropped to a $24 dollar ordinance fine, but somehow shows up on my record as an arrest.stupid bullshit is what it is, but 2 arrest makes me look like i am a bad person. not at all. just a bit unlucky

Winter

I've been here before
I got arrested when i was 19.12 years ago, the passenger in my car had a very small bag of pot on him. I was arrested and charged also. I got 6 months probation for it. I have another time 6 years ago where i was playing paintball with a friend on private property. I was never arrested just my name taken, but somehow 2 weeks later i got a letter int he mail saying i was arrested for trespass and had to appear in court. The charge was dropped to a $24 dollar ordinance fine, but somehow shows up on my record as an arrest.stupid bullshit is what it is, but 2 arrest makes me look like i am a bad person. not at all. just a bit unlucky
The situations described are not "unlucky." They show poor judgement on your part. A: Don't associate with people that use illegal drugs. PERIOD! That will prevent any arrests for possession. B: Don't play paintball on somebody's property unless you know you have permission. That is illegal.

The fact that you do not take responsibility for those incidents and put the blame for your arrests on somebody else shows a lack of maturity.

I know you'll probably take my comments personally, but they are merely meant to illustrate that serious consideration must be taken when a person petitions the Lodge with an arrest record. If I was on the investigation committee and you gave the explanation you just did for your arrests, I would not allow your petition to go forward.

I will have to AGREE with Bro. Winter..... to become a Mason one must be a man...not just a male. Men take responsibility for their actions.

FF Sparky

I will have to AGREE with Bro. Winter..... to become a Mason one must be a man...not just a male. Men take responsibility for their actions.
I ditto both Brother Winter and Fireman on their thoughts for Angelichuman. The original poster I believe took responsibility for his actions. I used to have excuses that blamed others. But realize now it was definitely my doings. I don't do that stupid stuff anymore, and I keep better company.

thebrianmo

In Ohio a convicted felon can not be a Mason. I had to answer that questions numerous times in various forms before being accepted.