FH Masonic Book Club

What book to read at this time for the FH Book Club?

• The Builders by Joseph Fort Newton

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Building Boaz by Dr. John Nagy

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
Thanks Winter....you are a plethora of knowledge:cool::D...... What do ya know on search and rescue in single family dwellings??? I am getting ready to do a research paper on it...LOL....I work on a "TRUCK":cool::D:cool:....I should be able to cover this topic good.....:D

Winter

I've been here before
My years of SAR experience was focussed more on inhospitable terrain and environs (read: military). No experience with Fire Rescue outside of the one time I helped get a family out of a burning house when I was in LE. And the SAR I did there was Dive Rescue.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
If your right handed, start to your left and stay left!!!! Never, Never, Never forget to stay to the left. Ohh, and if there is a hole in front of you, don't fall through ;) It also helps if you have back-up.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
If your right handed, start to your left and stay left!!!! Never, Never, Never forget to stay to the left. Ohh, and if there is a hole in front of you, don't fall through ;) It also helps if you have back-up.
BACK-UP??? We don't need no stinkin' ba-

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Well the thing with back-up is just that, they are "back" I do not condone this, but I've left my back-up at the door before, because they were scared and didn't want to follow. It was a simple mobile home fire, and he was scared, no one else packed up and ready, so I went in, did a basic search, and knocked down the fire. I was done, and out before the next crew showed. All that was left was overhaul.
I just have one thing to say, if you aren't comfortable going into a burning building.... DON'T...... don't even pack-up if you're not willing to put it to the test. It just puts others in a situation no one likes.

S&R is something I take great pride in as one of my better qualities....Not saying I am the best but I have taken classes from some of them...... I dont want to hijack this thread even though I am well within my e-Mason right to do so.... my comment about wanting info on search and rescue fromWinter was in jest...but the Brother is a wealth of knowledge and I do plan to bounce some ideas of him as well as others on here if and or when the time is right....

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Electronic books

Is there a way to convert a book available on the web such as _The Builders_ to a format that can be read on one of the electronic readers?
I can see that I may not always be in a situation where a computer is convenient to read a public domain book. I don't have a Kindle or Nook right now, so I am open if there is an e-reader that can do it better than another.

thanks
S&F

G

Gary

I'm not sure what format those readers use. If they read PDF, simply convert it to a PDF file. Cute PDF is a free converter.

G

Gary

I stickied "The Builders" book discussion thread to the top of this forum. That way it will be easy to find when the discussion begins on Monday.

I would ask that during these book discussions that we stay on task and not go off topic too much. I feel that is important to the continuity of work we are doing.

We have plenty of other areas on FMH where you can goof off if you want to, but it is my opinion that this endeavor is not the place for that. Don't be offended if you find off the wall comments removed or relocated to a different thread. I'm looking forward to discussing and learning with you all.

Winter

I've been here before
The idea of the FMH book club pretty much fell flat on it's face owing to a few problems. Some members felt their budget would not support the purchase of the books. And the first book we chose, The Builders, turned out to not hold the readers. At all! That was my fault.

But I would like to know if anyone would like to try a book discussion again. I am thinking of a book that would serve to give many new and old Masons alike a solid foundation of the various Western Mystery Traditions. Many of which have had a profound impact on our Masonic Order.

I am speaking of The Secret Teachings of All Ages by Manly P. Hall.
"In 1928, a 20-something Renaissance man named Manly Hall self-published a vast encyclopedia of the occult, believing that "modern" ideas of progress and materialism were displacing more important and ancient modes of knowledge. Hall's text has become a classic reference, dizzying in its breadth: various chapters explore Rosicrucianism, Kabbalah, alchemy, cryptology, Tarot, pyramids, the Zodiac, Pythagorean philosophy, Masonry and gemology, among other topics."

This book is a great read for no other reason than that it will introduce a serious student of the mystery traditions to many of the facets of this topic. My copy is very dogeared, highlighted, and footnoted by myself!

For those who won't spend the $17 dollars for the paperback edition (you know who you are) you are in luck. Since the copyright was never formally renewed in the US it can be legally reproduced and is available online in many formats.

I recommend sacred-texts.com http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/ They have it organized by chapter with links. It is missing some of the graphics as the copyrights for those were renewed.

Often when a discussion on a subject delves into the influence of or by other mystery traditions you can hear the crickets in the room. Now is your time to shine in a discussions and see what you've been missing.

jaya

I have read that book before and not recommend it to new masons. First, the book was written many years before he became a mason. It is a good book but should not be considered an authoritative book on freemasonry. It is hard for the new mason to decipher the difference.

To include all types of masons I would consider something like The Meaning of Masonry by W.L. Wilmshurst first. Just my thoughts.