First time in the East

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I'm as nervous as a cat in a rocking chair factory because a week from tomorrow I will be filling in as Master for the first time. I'm currently Junior Warden but we don't have an installed Senior Warden. The rules are that only an installed warden can open the lodge in the absence of the Master. The Master has to travel on business, so I get the most uncomfortable seat in the room for the evening.

I've been practicing every chance I get but the big difference is up until now, all the Ritual I've done has been in response to something. Now I'm the one initiating the Ritual. Wish me luck. I plan a long form opening and a relatively short closing. There's an exchange between the Master and Wardens at the end of the long form closing that I really like and we haven't done in a very long time so we're doing it next week.

I'm excited, scared and grateful to the Master and lodge for the trust they are giving me.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I'm as nervous as a cat in a rocking chair factory because a week from tomorrow I will be filling in as Master for the first time. I'm currently Junior Warden but we don't have an installed Senior Warden. The rules are that only an installed warden can open the lodge in the absence of the Master. The Master has to travel on business, so I get the most uncomfortable seat in the room for the evening.

I've been practicing every chance I get but the big difference is up until now, all the Ritual I've done has been in response to something. Now I'm the one initiating the Ritual. Wish me luck. I plan a long form opening and a relatively short closing. There's an exchange between the Master and Wardens at the end of the long form closing that I really like and we haven't done in a very long time so we're doing it next week.

I'm excited, scared and grateful to the Master and lodge for the trust they are giving me.

I'm sure you'll do excellent! I do have a question though... pardon my ignorance, but how does your Lodge function under your jurisdiction laws without an installed SW? I would think that the WM and the two Wardens are a bare minimum to operate a Lodge in good standing.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
We are allowed to operate without an installed SW. We can't open without someone in that chair, though. We have a past master who is our SW but did not wish to be installed and have the responsibilities of that chair outside the lodge.

Of course, he was sick last night so I had to put my mentor in the West.

Massachusetts has some new edicts that make it a challenge to go through the line. Although it was always required that officers attend lodge of instruction, most past masters who were going through the line again or filling an office until the next man was ready didn't feel the need to attend loi. The Grand Master put out an edict last year requiring every line officer to attend at least 7 of the 10 Lois in order for them to move up. This has caused no end of hand wringing and complaint, of course.

I serve as secretary of my district loi, so I have only missed one in my Masonic career. I was in the operating room that day having surgery. This edict, IMHO, simply put some teeth in an already existing requirement. I feel we should go to loi if not for ourselves, then as an example to our newer brothers.

We had a great evening last night. Several brothers told me they can't wait for me to be Master permanently. I closed with some seldom used ritual that I love. We voted on five new candidates and read another petition. First degree in two weeks. I will probably sit in that uncomfortable chair a few more times before it becomes mine. Last night was a good start.

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
I'm curious. Could the PM have opened the lodge? He could have in my jurisdiction.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I'm curious. Could the PM have opened the lodge? He could have in my jurisdiction.
Sorry, my jobs and Masonry have kept me away from here for too long.

To answer your question, no. Only the installed Master or, in his absence, an installed Warden can open the lodge. After "I declare _____ Lodge open...", anybody can run the meeting and even close.

goomba

Sorry, my jobs and Masonry have kept me away from here for too long.

To answer your question, no. Only the installed Master or, in his absence, an installed Warden can open the lodge. After "I declare _____ Lodge open...", anybody can run the meeting and even close.
That is an interesting difference. In AL as long as one of the three principle officers is present any MM can open the lodge.

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
I participated in a 1st degree last week. (I gave the charge) The JW and the WM switched positions.

It was very memorable, as our JW has ALS and could only recite the words. He has limited use of his hands and needs a walker to move short distances. A PM stood/sat next to the JW in the East and assisted by taking the top hat off and on, occasionally rapping the gavel, giving the OB and demonstrating the DG, etc.

It went extremely well and may be the only time the JW sits in the East. We did it for him, as well as for the candidate. I have to say, I think it was flawless, except when our new JD forgot to open the door once.