Flood of petitions

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Since Nov . my lodge has had a flood of petitions coming in , so many that we are having trouble keeping up with the degree work . Just this month we took in 5 petitions alone . A couple of years ago we went almost all year without having one petition .Even the Masons that have been EA's for years now want to move on through the degrees .
It seems it goes in cycles but never been like this . I think it may have to do with books and movies that have came out like National Treasure and The Da Vinci Code that has sparked interest in Freemasonry .
Has anyone of your lodges had an increase in new petitions ? I would love to see it continue at this rate . It seems that we are getting some quality men . We did have to weed out a few of the curious , but not many .

cemab4y

Petitions

I am delighted to hear of your "problem"!! I wish every lodge in America was getting bombarded. I just read a blurb on the Mass Grand Lodge group, and the poster stated that some lodges in Mass are getting a major increase in petitions. This is good news, indeed.

Once, when I was in Arlington VA, March 2005, the small lodge I attended got 17 new petitions in one month, all off the internet. It seems, that the first knock at the West Gate, is more frequently an electronic knock.

I wish my home lodge (in KY) would get a website, they are undergoing a major loss in membership. Sad.

reviewer

Agreed, I'm happy to hear about such problems! It definitely beats the alternative, given that a lot of fraternal orders were struggling just a few years ago.

reviewer

I have heard that all of the fraternal orders are experiencing a resurgence right now nationally. There was a story about it on NPR (I believe they talked mostly about the Elks, though).

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I wish my home lodge (in KY) would get a website, they are undergoing a major loss in membership. Sad.
If you would like, in the next month or so I can set them up with a website.

Our Lodge has 5 in the petition process right now (I just managed to get myself included in the investigation committee, still haven't figured that one out), we just passed 3 in our Lodge and one from another Lodge last night. I forget how many are in the studying process. Things are picking up for us. Hopefully with the website we have now that will increase further.

jvlighting1

PA The Keystone State
website

Yes my distric shares a Website. It could use a little help. They have not updated it for a wile. Jason, what do you mean "you can set them up"? I am a IT professional, (software support and networking) 10 years in the field.. do you have free hosting? I am going to help out with our site and provide assistance to the local webmaster.

mollyL

I wonder why some lodges are being inundated with petitions and other lodges are experiencing downturns in membership?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Yes my distric shares a Website. It could use a little help. They have not updated it for a wile. Jason, what do you mean "you can set them up"? I am a IT professional, (software support and networking) 10 years in the field.. do you have free hosting? I am going to help out with our site and provide assistance to the local webmaster.

What I can do is setup a website, something like Pearl of the West and provide hosting for free. The only thing I would like is a link back to here. When I get some time, I'll try and setup a demo site, with some different layouts to see if you would be interested.

cemab4y

Lodge websites

I belong to two lodges, one in Kentucky, and one in New York. Neither of which have websites (I am appalled). May I ask your assistance in obtaining websites for my lodges? Any guidance or advice will be most appreciated.

Charles E. Martin
Fort Wayne Indiana

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I belong to two lodges, one in Kentucky, and one in New York. Neither of which have websites (I am appalled). May I ask your assistance in obtaining websites for my lodges? Any guidance or advice will be most appreciated.

Charles E. Martin
Fort Wayne Indiana

I would be more then glad to help setup websites for both Lodges. Things are a little crazy right now, but hopefully will settle down in the next week or two. Just send me a friendly reminder and we can see what we can work out.

jvlighting1

PA The Keystone State
Thanks for the info Jason! A link is the least I can do...if not more. Let me know if i can help you as well. IT is my craft!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Still have them coming in . We will be putting 2 or 3 through the EA degree in a couple of weeks , one a very good friend . Waiting for investigating committees to come back on quit a few . We also have Bro's who have been EA's for years finally going on through the degree's . I just performed the Fellowcraft degree on 3 just yesterday morning .

RoughAshlar

Petitions, like the tides seem to ebb and flow. I think it is just a sign of the times, with such a lack of decent role models in our society; it necessarily follows that good, decent people will reach out to other like minded people.