MM Topic FM & Religion

G

Gary

I can accept that as your understanding....I have my thoughts on it. We can both look at it and see different things..... I dont see how someone can be spiritual without religion but I do see how one can be religious but not be spiritual.....

Just the thoughts of a man who also takes great pleasure in going into burning buildings.... so I may be a bit off center on my thinking.... neither is any more right or wrong than the other.....
The it would appear to me that you don't understand Deism. It also perplexes me that you see a way to be religious without being spiritual. I don't want to put you on the hot seat my Brother, but I'd love to hear your reasoning and explanation for your thoughts on this if you care to share.

G

Gary

Deism..... belief in a single god.... not a religion..... doctrine is the teachings of a particular deity and that is where religion comes from.... all masons believe in a single god (deism) but not all are religious or spiritual.
I disagree with your definition. You are confusing Mono-theism with Deism.

Deism isn't defined by a belief in a 'Single' G-d. It is generally is without shape form, or sexual persuasion. It's not necessarily a singularity. If I'm understanding what you are saying correctly, you are making the assumption that Deism provides a doctrine.

CoachN

Builder Builder
I can accept that as your understanding....I have my thoughts on it. We can both look at it and see different things.....
Yup. I don't believe either of us are making an effort to change the others views or their points. It's discourse from the heart and as it should be.
I dont see how someone can be spiritual without religion but I do see how one can be religious but not be spiritual...
I have met quite a few spiritual athiests and a whole bunch of "dead" religious folk.

I do have a specific understanding of what is spiritual and what is religious.

Dictionary definition of Deism:

de·ism
   [dee-iz-uhm] Show IPA
–noun
belief in the existence of a god on the evidence of reason and nature only, with rejection of supernatural revelation ( distinguished from theism).
belief in a God who created the world but has since remained indifferent to it

Yup. I don't believe either of us are making an effort to change the others views or their points. It's discourse from the heart and as it should be.

I have met quite a few spiritual athiests and a whole bunch of "dead" religious folk.

I do have a specific understanding of what is spiritual and what is religious.
I have also met people that say they get a spiritual feeling from Greatful Dead concerts....or from the Doors back in the 60ies.... people can use that word in many context.....

I will have to amend my thoughts just a bit as I have thought on the
religion= map
spirituality= journey

I agree 100% BUT...... the journey comes about from the studying of the map.....you dont take a journey to find the map....

G

Gary

Dictionary definition of Deism:

de·ism
   [dee-iz-uhm] Show IPA
–noun
belief in the existence of a god on the evidence of reason and nature only, with rejection of supernatural revelation ( distinguished from theism).
belief in a God who created the world but has since remained indifferent to it
OK,

I'm not sure i completely agree with that definition, as it is exceptionally rudimental in it's explanation. I'd substitute the word god for belief in a supreme being, but that's just me... LOL

Explain how Deism fits in with FM? Since it has no doctrine, how do you explain it's relevance with any particular VSL? Keep in mind SEVERAL of our founding fathers were masons/Deist's.

G

Gary

I have also met people that say they get a spiritual feeling from Greatful Dead concerts....or from the Doors back in the 60ies.... people can use that word in many context.....

religion= map
spirituality= journey

I agree 100% BUT...... the journey comes about from the studying of the map.....you dont take a journey to find the map....
Nay, sometimes you do! Explain a person who is a deist who is trying to formulate a better understanding of their G-d? a little study in comparative religions maybe?

OK,

I'm not sure i completely agree with that definition, as it is exceptionally rudimental in it's explanation. I'd substitute the word god for belief in a supreme being, but that's just me... LOL

Explain how Deism fits in with FM? Since it has no doctrine, how do you explain it's relevance with any particular VSL? Keep in mind SEVERAL of our founding fathers were masons/Deist's.
It may be very rudimentary in it definition but without it, we can all just make up our own definition....

Deism fits into FM simply....all one is required to do is profess a belief in a single deity.....as for the VSL... if they arent particularly religious...maybe they just pick the most popular or prevalent for that Lodge they are joining. Maybe they dont care as long as it was a VSL they used

Nay, sometimes you do! Explain a person who is a deist who is trying to formulate a better understanding of their G-d? a little study in comparative religions maybe?
But they are religious or they wouldnt be exploring religion...... and the religion they settle on is the map for their journey.

G

Gary

But they are religious or they wouldnt be exploring religion...... and the religion they settle on is the map for their journey.
What I'm getting at is this... They are Spiritual, not necessarily religious. So to get back on topic, FM & Religion.... Deists don't necessarily have a map (religion) by the very definition you provided. If that's the case, then Religion is not part of Freemasonry. Spirituality is.

What I'm getting at is this... They are Spiritual, not necessarily religious. So to get back on topic, FM & Religion.... Deists don't necessarily have a map (religion) by the very definition you provided. If that's the case, then Religion is not part of Freemasonry. Spirituality is.
We will have to agree to disagree...... to me spirituality is part of a religious experience.......as in someone who is really involved in their denomination.... a person can be a religious person but not get into the "church" experience.

I disagree that religion is not a part of FM, I know people say that the Biblical reference are just for moral allegory...if that is the case why not simple use Confucius or other teachings/lesson? Could it be that the religious teaching are what the founders had intended and not just simple lessons of right and wrong ...... religious doctrine I would agree is not part of FM.

G

Gary

<Note: This discussion between myself and Fireman is only a friendly debate. It does not express my opinion on the matter. I'm playing devil's advocate.>

I accept and completely respect your opinion my Brother. We agree to disagree.

If what you say is true, then why not say that FM is exclusively a Christian fraternity? Why accept those of other religious beliefs? Why accept Deist's? After all, all of the religious quotes are from the HB, are they not?

I think we have successfully demonstrated why it is that we do not discuss religion in the Lodge. It opens a BIG can of worms.

<Note: This discussion between myself and Fireman is only a friendly debate. It does not express my opinion on the matter. I'm playing devil's advocate.>

I accept and completely respect your opinion my Brother. We agree to disagree.

If what you say is true, then why not say that FM is exclusively a Christian fraternity? Why accept those of other religious beliefs? Why accept Deist's? After all, all of the religious quotes are from the HB, are they not?

I think we have successfully demonstrated why it is that we do not discuss religion in the Lodge. It opens a BIG can of worms.
I offer to you that based on the ritual used predominantly in the US of A....FM was a Christian based..... and I say that because if it wasnt based on teaching exclusively from the HB references from the other VSL would have been used as well....the other VSL were known when the Preston-Webb ritual was written.

Now on why to accept others of faith... simple...the evolution from the original interpretation.....yes I said change and masonry in the same conversation

Why accept deist....easy also...they believe in a single god..... there for they meet one of the qualifications

G

Gary

OK... I'm sure others have read our discussion... Anyone else want to chime in?

CoachN

Builder Builder
Yes. That is the magic of words.
religion= map
spirituality= journey
:D
I believe this is a mistaken belief. I think initially someone must take a journey to create a map of that journey. If you have a map, that's a hand me down issue that should not take away from the fact that someone had to Travel through the unknown territory to make it symbolically known to others.

Let me explain. Maps are symbolic representations of what you think you know about the territory they represent. Even if you travel that territory in your imagination, the map still originates as a consequences of that Travel experience.

Yes. That is the magic of words.

:D

I believe this is a mistaken belief. I think initially someone must take a journey to create a map of that journey. If you have a map, that's a hand me down issue that should not take away from the fact that someone had to Travel through the unknown territory to make it symbolically known to others.

Let me explain. Maps are symbolic representations of what you think you know about the territory they represent. Even if you travel that territory in your imagination, the map still originates as a consequences of that Travel experience.
I can see you perspective and appreciate it...... I dont believe one experiences spirituality without first having a basis in religion.... I dont consider the Doors or the Greatful Dead either spiritual or religious....

G

Gary

I can see you perspective and appreciate it...... I dont believe one experiences spirituality without first having a basis in religion.... I dont consider the Doors or the Greatful Dead either spiritual or religious....
I take it you've never been to a Dead show before...LOL j/k :p