Freemasons hand out bursaries

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Jessica Kenzie always knew she wanted to help people, and as it turned out, the Freemasons wanted to help her do it.
Kenzie is one of 100 students in Alberta — including 13 in the southern Alberta Masonic district — who will receive a $2,000 bursary towards the cost of educational pursuits.
"Their generosity is amazing," said Kenzie, who already holds a bachelor's degree in speech language pathology.
The bursary means that she'll continue in a distance learning program at the University of Calgary towards a degree in community rehabilitation and disability studies.
That will allow her to work in a number of fields — such as advocacy, government policy creation or guardianship and hands-on work with the disabled — though Kenzie has not chosen a specialty.
"Every month I'm inspired to do something new in the field," she said. "Maybe there's a crisis program to start up, or organization that teaches life skills. I'm maybe leaning towards working with the government, because of how my life experience has guided me."
Kenzie herself is upgrading her education after a car accident left her unable to work, but her original motivation is her sister who became disabled after a bout of meningitis.
The half dozen members of the area's Masonic Lodges and guest Masons said they were happy to help.
"Our goal is to promote young people, to see they get a better education and to help them do so,' said Les Payne, of Brooks, the District Deputy Grand Master of the Palliser Masonic District.

more Freemasons hand out bursaries | Local News | Medicine Hat News