Freemasons reward second-grade readers in Limestone with new bikes, helmets

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
LIMESTONE, Maine — It’s said that reading can take you anywhere — well, maybe as far as your legs can pedal.
Second-graders at the Limestone Community School were given brand-new bikes on Friday, May 27, after completing a reading challenge put forth by members of Freemason Lodge 214; participating in the Bikes for Books challenge, second-graders read for 1,000 minutes between April 4 and May 27.
“[This challenge] gets them excited to read and it gives them a goal,” said second-grade teacher Kristie Adams. “This class has really shown a big interest in reading and they’ve really enjoyed their time.”
Organized by Worshipful Master Jon Poitras of Lodge 214, Limestone’s Freemasons purchased and assembled 18 bikes and helmets to match; they even fit each bike with a custom nameplate so the students knew which bike was theirs.
There were joyous shouts and celebratory squeals accompanied by fist-pumps and stationary jumping as the youngsters were presented their bikes.
Even 20 minutes later, after Freemasons helped each of the 18 students pick out a helmet, fit it correctly and fill out bicycle registration cards with the Limestone Police Department to help officers return the bikes if lost or stolen, a couple of students were still devoted to their new mantra of “I love this bike, I love this bike, I love this bike.”

more Freemasons reward second-grade readers in Limestone with new bikes, helmets — Maine News — Bangor Daily News