Garden Status 2012

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
That stinks. I've already gotten some cucumbers out of my garden. Some tomatoes are coming in along with peppers. I think there was some beans coming in too.

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
Holy (insert favorite word here), I don't even want to think about my garden. At least in the back of the house. It's a jungle and I lost control about 5 years ago. I've been playing catch-up ever since and I cannot get it to return to it's former glory. We're planning on spending a few hours out there, at least, this weekend, but it will only make a small dent.

I need a month off of work- at least, to get it going again. I'm going to try though!

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
You should have seen this house when I bought it. I burned almost every day for the spring/summer. Here is a small sample towards the end. The was was originally about 4 feet deep.

Attachments

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
I have to laugh, rather than cry. I went outside, pulled out the brand new lawn mower that I inherited and it wouldn't start. It's hardly been used. So now I have to dig my rather old, but rather reliable mower out of storage. It was sad. I discovered a broken line that I will have to try and repair.

I at least able to get water in the spa.

We can't burn here in CA. I only have a 96 gallon yard waste can that gets picked up every other week. On the positive side, I will mulch in all the grass, and what I can't mulch in, will go in my composite can.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
It does not happen often down here, but the ethanol in the gas eats a lot of stuff up in the small engines. I've seen it talked about a whole lot, and those that do not use their equipment often often replace parts due to it.

Ouch, cannot burn. That stinks. I would have gone crazy here. Did you give any thought to renting a brush hog for the tougher stuff? I cheated, I had a bobcat moving dirt around anyway so I just scalped the yard in the really bad areas. Still get sprouts but I can mow over them.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Well the cucumbers climbing the chain link fence are not doing well. Might have to pull out and replant. Only got two jars of B&B pickles sunday.

The corn looked like it was ready until I went to pull the husk off of one. The corn is 1/4 the size of the husk and attacked by bugs.

Tomatoes are starting to turn red finally.

Two Seminole pumpkins should be ready this weekend.

Pepper plants are producing, but staying very small, about a foot or two tall. Not sure why.

I did my planting on Mother's Day Sunday. Planted 4 beefy boy tomato plants, 4 cherry tomato plants, and a rhubarb plant. All is growing well--tomato plants are starting to blossom. My wife got some help from the kids picking out/planting her Mother's Day gift of flowers.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I've been getting strawberries for the last 2 weeks or so. Everything else has been slowed by the 40 degree nights.

H

Hank

2 more days and fortification should be complete.
From there I start planting.

Zack

'maters, 'maters, 'maters. plants are 7' tall and loaded. Got them tied up to everything I can.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
My garden has gotten pretty bad. I really haven't had time the past two weeks to get in there. Last time I was in there I did a lot of weeding, pulled the corn that as full of bugs, and just tried cleaning things up. Now the bottom half looks like dung again. I think I may have over fertilized my tomatoes too. Or the heat has gotten to them. Sadly it may not be until next weekend I get in there and spend some time in there. But next Saturday is also the Grand Masters visit, and sunday is Fathers Day and not sure if any families are doing anything.

I did get a decent yield last time though.

Attachments

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I can not wait to get some fresh ripe tomatoes , I have been craving tomato sandwiches .
I wish you better luck then I'm having. Got in there tonight and them bugs got my tomatoes. Not sure if the plants will make it, but I took out any tomatoes, and squashed what bugs I could. Might be too hot to try replanting too. I may have to wait until fall. And I had such high hopes.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
We are fortunate in that my wife's cousin runs a vegetable farm. So wehn we want fresh veggies, off to the farm we go. Win-win. :cool:

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I'm building a greenhouse. I'm tired of dealing with critters and bugs. I found a DIY greenhouse with plans in Mother Earth news a while back.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I'm building a greenhouse. I'm tired of dealing with critters and bugs. I found a DIY greenhouse with plans in Mother Earth news a while back.
How will you deal with the heat issue? I get the magazine, lots of great info, I think there was on green houses a while back, not sure if it the same you are referring too. But the heat in Florida makes green houses difficult.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
My wife went out on Wednesday and got the first tomatoes & zucchni out of the garden, the squash plant is blooming. The nights have finally warmed up to where things will grow at night. We need rain in a bad way only .45 of an inch this month, usually have 3-4 inches in June.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
How will you deal with the heat issue? I get the magazine, lots of great info, I think there was on green houses a while back, not sure if it the same you are referring too. But the heat in Florida makes green houses difficult.
The greenhouse is well ventilated. It also has a double layer of cover material that creates a pocket for fans to ventilate between the layers. I also plan on installing shades for the roof. Hopefully that will help. I see several people in my are with green houses, and they are quite successful with them. The design/ placement of them is everything. I plan on using it to winter some of the more tender plants that I have. So, I'm hoping for the best!

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
There are plans online at motherearthnews.com. Look at the DIY section on the first page about halfway down the page. I hope I'm not violating forum rules by posting the website. I just wanted to share, and the plans are free.