Goals and teachings

dax

I heard that here are some things that cannot be revealed about Freemasonry. I have a friend who is a Mason but he doesn't want to tell what Freemasonry is all about. What are the goals and teachings that Masons relay to other people/ non-Masons?

G

Gary

This question is similar to your other thread "What non-Masons should know".

Again, I'll say that Freemasonry is a system of morality. It teaches Masons to strive to be better men. It's teachings are veiled in allegory, and illustrated by symbols.

You won't find an honorable Mason who will go into details about our secrets.

As far as what Mason's "teach" non-Masons? They demonstrate what they've learned by their actions and words toward man-kind by being upright and honorable men.

Pick up one of the books recommended by Ashlar, and I'm sure your curiosity will be satisfied. Both books go into detail about the history and structure of Freemasonry. They are both written by Masons.

I'd steer clear of trying to find your answers solely on the internet. There are a lot of crap websites out there. That being said, here is a link from Florida's Grand Lodge that may give you some useful information:

Grand Lodge of Florida

Try searching for the Grand Lodge in your particular state or locality.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
What is Freemasonry about ? As GaryE stated , this is very much like your previous thread . Freemasonry is about Brotherhood and fellowship . It is about taking the symbolism and allegorical teachings of the degrees and putting them into practice and striving to be a better man . It is about learning to be charitable , not only of worldly goods/money , but the giving of yourself . It is about meeting all people , no matter of their race , creed , color , religion or social standing on the level and excepting them as your equal . In fine , it is about Faith , Truth and Brotherly love .

But these are my thoughts on it , you can ask five different Freemasons this question and quite possibly get five different answers , or in your case , no answer at all because they think every single aspect of Freemasonry is a secret when that can not be further from the truth .

Necktie

Faith , Truth and Brotherly love

There is so much to be valued about faith, truth and brotherly love. Gary and Ashlar both of your posts are well said and inspiring to the rest of us.

antonskv

3° Master Mason
But these are my thoughts on it , you can ask five different Freemasons this question and quite possibly get five different answers , or in your case , no answer at all because they think every single aspect of Freemasonry is a secret when that can not be further from the truth .
Exactly. Secret part is only actual ritual knowledge, rest is really out in the open. Actual "secret" part is relatively small part, small part 'cause ritual is not biggest part of masonry. There are huge loads of "masonic" work done by members outside of official meetings. Charity work would be a biggest part in my personal opinion, and there is nothing secretive about that.

East_Regalia

Real Men Wear Aprons
The problem is that more often than not, many Masons are not 100% clear on what they can and cannot say. So they say nothing. Some just like to be mysterious. Some are just plain ignorant and don't understand the ritual at all. In our ritual (Scottish), we are taught not to betray modes of recognition. As far as I know, those are the only real secrets we are obliged to hele to. There are a few other things which I would also not reveal but this is mainly because it is too difficult to explain to someone that doesn't know the whole ritual and they simply wouldn't get it anyhow. The whole idea of a degree system is to graduate higher as you learn.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
The problem is that more often than not, many Masons are not 100% clear on what they can and cannot say. So they say nothing. Some just like to be mysterious.
I will admit, at first I was not sure what I can say and cannot say. I still wonder sometimes as Ashlar will tell you. A few topics I have ran by him. Especially after reading Masters Wages who seemed to imply anything about the Lodge is off topic. But I am more open to talking then when I first joined.

I also have done the mysterious thing. When my brother was asking along with his boss, he must have asked me a couple of dozen times the same questions. Now me being a smart --- after the first dozen times I went the mysterious route. Every time he asked what we do, I would just reply "make good men better".

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Most fraternal bodies associated with masonry have a certain charity which we hold dear to our hearts. I belong to several bodies, and attempt to assist with those charities as much as possible. That being said, I would not have been involved with those had it not been for joining the Blue Lodge. Masonry, even though it is ancient and honorable, is one of the most written about in all literature. Mystery is always the first thing to come to mind by those who are not members (if you can't get the answer you want, make one up to suit yourself and your purposes) this is often detrimental to the fraternity, but we as free-masons do not fight the insidious. Knowledge is the key to our existence, and furthering of masonic light. As it was said before, we take good men and make them better, this is accomplished in several ways, most notably knowledge. Knowledge is shared by Mason's while meeting on the level ground of the lodge, regardless of external statures such as wealth, position, race or religion. We meet as equals, and share knowledge to make each person a better person so that they can use this information in their daily lives to better serve mankind. Often times the non mason, or anti-masonic bodies feel this is rhetoric, and feel it is covering up something more. Masonry is based on Knowledge, Charity, and Brotherly love, these are evident in any just and laudable undertaking which free-masons join together in supporting.

Coxman

Observe your friend and other Masons, you might get an idea of what its all about. Your friend should tell you all he is able to tell you. Not telling someone about Masonry just adds to peoples distrust. Do realize that he can not tell you everything, somethings you must learn on your own.

dollar bill

wow, was just reading replies from pages 1 and 2, and that is EXACTLY why im here now at this point in my life. The common thread among the members ive met, there is a sense of integrety and honor among them,the way theyve carried themselves when we met.Just somthing about them..i truly respect that.

antonskv

3° Master Mason
Oh cmon.... Guys, lets dispense with the mystery....

What Masonry is really about, is getting away from wives to participate in great BBQs and drink a lot of beer. Charity is very important, so we are very charitable when passing Nachos and Beer around while watching a Football games in front of our charitable wide-screen TV. :D:D

Who's in? Password to 3rd Degree is the location where we hide the kegs when wives & girlfriends come to visit the lodge.

There you go - cat is out of the bag. :D:D When somebody sees Ashlar with an M16, let me know so I'll have some head start. :cool:;)

G

Gary

Oooh... :eek: yer gonna get it for revealing the holiest of holy secrets of the order!!! :D

LMAO... Seriously though, He's right. We are a band of brothers who just like to have fun.

Ashlar ain't gonna get you with a M16. He's artillery. He'll check the angle of the dangle and hit you where it counts LONG RANGE....Oohrah! :cool:

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I will fire one round , have the FOs' make an adjustment , and then fire for affect .

Nothing like hearing 155mm high explosive rounds coming down range to make for a good attitude adjustment .

emarsh

As has been said before, many Masonic "secrets" are really open secrets. I believe that these are essentially obsolete carry overs from days when Masons were freethinkers and speaking against the institutions of the day could lose you your head.

Having said that, Masons do promise not to reveal the not so secret secrets and regardless of how they might feel about them when one gives one's word he should stand by it.

There was a History Channel program about the Secrets of Masonry that's worth seeing if one wants to learn more. I didn't find it completely factual but in general think that it's worth seeing.

Here's an amusing drabble (100 word story) I wrote, not about the Masons but about secret societies in general:

The Secrets of the Illuminati

It was a lust for power that drew me to the Sacred Order of Illuminati. I took upon myself an oath to willingly sacrifice my life should I reveal any of the order's secrets. In the decades that followed I spent many hours memorizing arcane ritual, seeking the greatest of the secrets of the Illuminati.

I'm old now and my life is slipping away. I'll soon be beyond their reach, so I will share that secret with you:

We're just a bunch of old guys who meet and drink coffee to get away from our wives.

Eric's Drabbles

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Oh cmon.... Guys, lets dispense with the mystery....

What Masonry is really about, is getting away from wives to participate in great BBQs and drink a lot of beer. Charity is very important, so we are very charitable when passing Nachos and Beer around while watching a Football games in front of our charitable wide-screen TV.
No BBQ's or beer at my Lodge. Can I visit yours?