Grass/Lawn Care

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea... I always mow my lawn on Sundays. I had let it go too long once before, but I felt rather embarrassed at how high it got and vowed never to let it get that high again. But when my wife started having complications with her pregnancy and was sentenced to weeks of bed rest and then after my son was born early, the lawn became the least of my worries.

It got really high... I mowed it, and my dumb self didn't bag the clippings.

Now a week later, I am mowing my lawn again and it looks absolutely horrible. It looked better before I started mowing it. The dead grass from a week ago, mixed with the clippings from today, give my lawn an off green almost hay like appearance. I am considering raking my lawn, but that would take me forever (I am blessed to have a large lawn). Does anyone have any suggestions?

(I just came in to get a glass of water, and decided to post my concerns on FMH. I'm heading back out to finish the lawn. No, I do not own a riding lawnmower.)

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Scrape it to the dirt.
Pour concrete.
Buy a pallet of green paint.

:D
I am getting quite tired of the mowing thing!

(somewhat short of) S&F

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Give a neighborhood kid a few dollars to rake it for you? If you had a ride on they sell rake attachments, they work, but not as well as using an actual rake.

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
Give a neighborhood kid a few dollars to rake it for you? If you had a ride on they sell rake attachments, they work, but not as well as using an actual rake.
Neighborhood kids? The last one who came to my door offering his professional lawn care services wanted about the same number of dollars as it takes to fill up my SUV.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Neighborhood kids? The last one who came to my door offering his professional lawn care services wanted about the same number of dollars as it takes to fill up my SUV.
Well if you have a truck like me, ouch. If you have a hybrid, I would say it is not too bad.

I think someone said leave blower. I've seen two things that it just reminded me of. I've seen someone with a wet/dry vac on the lawn. However, the best was a pressure washer. Said he was able to clean the lawn and water it.

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
I don't think I could live with myself if I bought a hybrid... well at least have trouble looking in a mirror

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Well if you have a truck like me, ouch. If you have a hybrid, I would say it is not too bad.

I think someone said leave blower. I've seen two things that it just reminded me of. I've seen someone with a wet/dry vac on the lawn. However, the best was a pressure washer. Said he was able to clean the lawn and water it.

Last Fall I watched a man use a garden house to "rake" up the leaves in his yard !!! Wasted gallons (and money on his water bill) of water because he was to lazy to use a rake .

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
I rarely bag my clippings. I mulch them in. If it gets very tall, yes there is a lot of clippings and it looks horrible for a bit, but if you go back in a few days, it should mulch right up. Good for the lawn, less work, and less fertilizer.

Admittedly, my back yard has that issue and it looks horrible, but that's the price I paid for waiting so long.