Great forum, still a bit tongue tied...

MWS

There's an interesting thread developing on the working tools. Some interesting interpretations and debate. My jurisdiction, although similar, illustrates them in a slightly different light. I reached for my Book of the Work but caught myself...the tools themselves are blotted out.

Got me thinking, I've been told during our education nights that all is open to discuss for Masons and non-Masons alike. Only the obligations and a few other parts are meant for those ready to partake in the degrees. Why then are the working tools not clearly present?

I consider myself dually chastised for limiting my discussion to "shallow" topics, license plates and such. A fair accusation...but as far as the tools, I'll be content to see how it develops from the sidelines. I'll try to contribute more of course, but am interested to hear how strongly you folks take your obligations? Please let me be clear, I'm not judging ANY discussions. Like I mentioned, as far as I'm concerned only the ob's, grips and tokens are off limits for me on a untiled forum. I love Masonic discussion, but doesn't it irk you a bit when you see everything out in the open...open degrees where families are invited? Masons being raised less than a week after initiation?? What is there to "earn"...where is the pride in spending months, years working towards the light? A potential candidate knocked on the door of the Lodge and wanted to sign up that night. A PM gently, and in a very friendly manner spoke with him and said, "come back one year from today and I will be happy to sign your petition." He returned and is now a promenant member. A wonderful story I thought.

Sorry, not meaning to rant. Let me rein it in with a question. Do you think modern or progressive Masonry has become too "easy?" I'm aware that this has come up in other threads, but it is still something I struggle with. Please feel free to answer, or tell me use the search function...I'm mainly writing this to come to my own understanding...

goomba

Brother I commend you on doing what you feels is correct regarding Masonry! The other I’m still thinking about I’ll get back with you.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
There's an interesting thread developing on the working tools. Some interesting interpretations and debate. My jurisdiction, although similar, illustrates them in a slightly different light. I reached for my Book of the Work but caught myself...the tools themselves are blotted out.

Got me thinking, I've been told during our education nights that all is open to discuss for Masons and non-Masons alike. Only the obligations and a few other parts are meant for those ready to partake in the degrees. Why then are the working tools not clearly present?

I consider myself dually chastised for limiting my discussion to "shallow" topics, license plates and such. A fair accusation...but as far as the tools, I'll be content to see how it develops from the sidelines. I'll try to contribute more of course, but am interested to hear how strongly you folks take your obligations? Please let me be clear, I'm not judging ANY discussions. Like I mentioned, as far as I'm concerned only the ob's, grips and tokens are off limits for me on a untiled forum. I love Masonic discussion, but doesn't it irk you a bit when you see everything out in the open...open degrees where families are invited? Masons being raised less than a week after initiation?? What is there to "earn"...where is the pride in spending months, years working towards the light? A potential candidate knocked on the door of the Lodge and wanted to sign up that night. A PM gently, and in a very friendly manner spoke with him and said, "come back one year from today and I will be happy to sign your petition." He returned and is now a promenant member. A wonderful story I thought.

Sorry, not meaning to rant. Let me rein it in with a question. Do you think modern or progressive Masonry has become too "easy?" I'm aware that this has come up in other threads, but it is still something I struggle with. Please feel free to answer, or tell me use the search function...I'm mainly writing this to come to my own understanding...
I'll offer my personal opinion for your consideration...

The Working Tools are a symbolic representation of morals and virtues plain and simple. There is no secret in that. I see absolutely no issue in discussing their merit and meaning. Any fool can say they know what the tools are and parrot their literal meaning. Only a Mason can apply the true meaning and build a better life with them. I've actually had the profane, and even Cowan's get VERY MAD at myself and close Brothers for not giving them the answers to things that are hidden in plain sight.

As far as you being duly chastised, that was not the intention of the complaints about boring topics. But, apparently the plan worked because it got someone stirred enough to contemplate and share their thoughts on something of substance!

Masonry is only as easy as we want it to be. Easy IMHO, is having one day classes, no Masonic education, no requirements for catechism proficiency, and no mentor program. The mentor program to me is most important of all of those, because without it, you can't teach a candidate the importance of allegory and symbolism. I'd hazard a guess that 80% of the membership in the U.S. could care less about allegory and symbolism. That is sad, because without an understanding of these you cannot have ANY fruitful discourse regarding Masonry. All you get is fluff topics. That doesn't keep with the teachings of the FC degree now does it...

I look at discussions on these boards like this... I hone my skills for debate, and the 7 L&S's plain and simple. I divulge no secrets, but I do share light occasionally for those that recognize it for what it is.

Reactions: MWS