Ham Radio?

pcwardlaw

I'm not a ham radio user.but I'm interested.I live close to Amory,MS......And would like more info on how one gets started on studying & taking the test.And where I would take the test?Any help would be great.Thank you!

jaya

Get one of the books from the ARRL for the technician class license. Those are the exact questions on the test. See if there is a ham radio club in your area and they should be able to give you the test or at least get you in contact with a group yhat does.

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
A few years ago, I studied for the technician's class license. I was never able to test, due to location. The only club nearby that was testing, had a hit or miss schedule for me. When things settled down, my priority became becoming cancer free. That's now is in the rear view mirror, for the most part, and I am thinking about it again. The SD and I were talking recently, and it seems he has a lot of his grandfather's old equipment and he wants to get started also. It may be somethng we both explore. Although, in the near future, my focus is on my degrees.

I received my book from Amazon. Just makes sure it is a recent copy. As Jay said, all the questions are in there, but you want to make sure that they are recent questions. My book had an expiration date that coincided with when the questions were up for possible change.

cemab4y

It was one of my ham radio friends, the late Don Tuggle N4AOC, who introduced me to Freemasonry. I have been a ham op since 1976, first WA4YRA, then AB4Y. I have operated in about 11 countries. When I lived in Columbus OH, we had our own Masonic ham radio club and degree team, the "Hiram-Hams". Whenever a mason needed a license exam, we tested him. Whenever a ham had degree work, we would all show up, and do all of the parts. I also started the "Voice of Aladdin" Amateur radio club, at Aladdin Shrine center.

If you wish to get involved in ham radio, check out the ARRL website www.arrl.org also you local ham radio club.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
There are a BUNCH of hams at the Wednesday AM Masonic Breakfasts: Jim Cherry, Ken Whichard, Wilbert "Muss" Mussleman, Gordon Aycock, and more...
Sorry I don't have their call signs.

S&F

2SONDAD

I found my manual recently. I think it may be fun to study again. Although, I would prefer to finish my MM proficiency first. :)

jaya

I started on working towards my extra class. Sad how much I forgot since getting my general.

2SONDAD

Priorities! :D
No question. I thought I would have my proficiency done by now- but work got in the way in a very serious manner. On the positive side- I am proud to say that I have been recognized for my work. Now I am finally able to squeeze in some time- but I am going to be busy again very soon and I am trying to take advantage of the study time while I can.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
No question. I thought I would have my proficiency done by now- but work got in the way in a very serious manner. On the positive side- I am proud to say that I have been recognized for my work. Now I am finally able to squeeze in some time- but I am going to be busy again very soon and I am trying to take advantage of the study time while I can.
Steady as she goes Brother. Remember your twenty four in gauge. Your Brothers at Lodge will assist you in your proficiency, and grant you more time if you keep them posted on your circumstances. Congrats on your achievements in your vocation!

2SONDAD

Steady as she goes Brother. Remember your twenty four in gauge. Your Brothers at Lodge will assist you in your proficiency, and grant you more time if you keep them posted on your circumstances. Congrats on your achievements in your vocation!
No worries Brother. As it turns out, my coach has been busier than normal too. I'm keeping good use of the 24 inch gauge- it has been serving me well.

My studies will happen and there isn't a rush.

Thank you for the kind words too.