Happy Hanukkah

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I just wanted to wish all those who celebrate Hanukkah a happy one. May you enjoy yourself over the next few days.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
It is about sunset here in eastern North Carolina.
May your Chanukkah be Blessed and Merry!

...from a follower of an observant Jew.
S&F

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
BTW, anyone who wants to send Latkes to me, will get a free FMH mug. I could really go for some right now.

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
BTW, anyone who wants to send Latkes to me, will get a free FMH mug. I could really go for some right now.
If I had some myself I would, but I haven't made any.....yet!

Happy Hanukkah!

(BTW- how does one get a paid for FMH mug?)

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
If I had some myself I would, but I haven't made any.....yet!

Happy Hanukkah!

(BTW- how does one get a paid for FMH mug?)
Send me some Latkes ;)

BTW, I've seen it spelled both Hanukkah and Chanukka. To me, it seems both are correct. Is one more modern then the other?

Also, after a successful visit to Texas, I may be looking through my "inventory" and getting rid of it. I may have a few extra mugs.

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
If I recall correctly, the CH is from the Hebrew pronunciation and the H is American English. I bet Winter's response will be more accurate than mine.

Happy Hanukkah.....

As to the spelling...I saw a Rabbi on TV this morning and the reason for the varied spellings is because there is no letter that gives the proper sound in the correct pronunciation...

Winter

I've been here before
Thank you for the Chanukah wishes.

As for the spelling....

Hebrew, as a semetic language, has no vowels and when a word is transliterated into English there is a great deal of leeway as long as the sound is preserved. (There is a specific name for this but I won't bore you)

And yes, the "Ch" spelling is an attempt to be truer to the actual spelling/pronunciation of the word in Hebrew since it begins with the Hebrew letter Chet. This sound is not found in English and this leads to the confusion.

The letter CHET is equal to the number eight and is referred to as the letter of Life. (Chai = Life, L'Chaim = To life, etc...)

The number eight signifies the eight days of the festival of Chanukah (Festival of Lights).

The number eight also alludes to the eighth day of a Jewish baby boy’s life, when the ritual of circumcision (Brit Milah) takes place.

The word CHET also means ‘sin’ as well as ‘life’.

So all of the MANY spellings are correct. (Hanukkah, Chanukah, Chanukkah, or Chanuka) Hope this helped.