Hi there

Shogun

Since I'm new and don't know much about this study, what are the basic fundamentals of being a Free Mason?

People typically join certain groups because of a shared connection they all have ie. race, language, greed etc. But what do Mason share? Is it something to do with freedom over what we deem as "religion" and "politics", or seeing what others can not.

Hope I made sense, I was never good at expressing what goes on in my head.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Freemasonry is a fraternal organization dedicated to making good men better. There are few requirements to join. You must believe in a higher power although we don't particularly care which one. You must be an adult male. You must be of good character and reputation.

You ask what we share. We share a disire to make the world a better place through our labor. The fundamental concepts of Freemasonry are: Brotherly Love, Truth and Relief. many Masons will spend a lifetime understanding all the facets of those three simple concepts.

In the US, Masons contribute over $2,000,000.00 per day to charity. 70% of that goes to non-masonic causes. We are the single largest group of blood donors in the country. The Shriners' Hospitals provide top health care at no charge to anyone (Shriners must first be Masons). I could go on but the real work of the Craft's charity is usually much quieter. I've seen a wheelchair appear at a home where the original was stolen. A laptop computer "became available" with speech recognition software for a handicapped child. A homeless mother recieved clothing for her children and cash to get by.

In other words, these are the finest men you will encounter in your journey through life. If you feel you would be proud to call them "Brother" find a Lodge near you and ask.

Shogun

I understand it know, or as much as I can at this point in my life, Thank you for the quick and factual response you've given me.

The traits you stated seem to be how my life has been since the beginning, it may seem stupid and selfish for me to say and I apologize for it but I've had that connection for some time now.

My views on life were clouded by the doubt in my mind, or the Devil as you will, and were recently cleared with the help of a close friend(and deep thought). I'll find a lodge and give it my best shot, I'm 19 though so that may be a problem. Maybe this is the path the creator wants me to tread on, or a brick wall I should avoid, but I thank you none the less for replying.

Nearest lodge looks to be Mt. Oso Lodge No. 460 F. & A. M.. I'll be seeing you someday.

Brother Liberty

Service Officer
Depending on your jurisdiction (state), you age might not matter. I know that most, if not all of the states in the northeast have a minimum age of 18. Best of luck.

G

Gary

Home - Mt. Oso Lodge No. 460

Gave them a call on Monday, no answer left a short message and also sent a email.
Haven't had a chance to see the Lodge firsthand, though I plan on it tomorrow (11th),
Give them a few days, someone will get back to you. Some lodges only meet certain days, so there may have been no one to take your call. Your email will likely be answered by the Lodge secretary.

Shogun

Thank you, I'm one to never rush things so if more time is needed I'm happy to wait. I'll keep you guys updated on my progress, and thanks for the encouragement, hard to truly find that nowadays.