home brewing

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
It MAY BE illegal , but as long as it not for profit and on a small scale , the local LEOs' do not care in my area . Believe me , I have asked and they do not care about it . They have bigger fish to fry . I actually sit back and have a few drinks of 'shine every so often with a few LEO's at functions .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I would think that even distilling ethanol as a beverage (vs as a motor fuel), is illegal without the bundle of permits required, even if none is sold.
It wasn't that long ago that brewing beer and wine at home was still illegal, but ignored by authorities unless for profit.

S&F
If I remember it correctly wine was allowed to be made for home use shortly after prohibition. The way the law was written you could do wine, but not beer. But Carter in 1978 included beer.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I will ask them , but they protect their recipes . They do not sell it for profit , just give it to friends to keep everyone such as the LEOs' happy .
Interesting. A guy a met at the home brew shop that I went to many moons ago shared freely. So do those who have some. Mostly it is Apple Pie here, and it is just a cut with apple juice. I would be too worried about not pouring out the right amount when you first make it.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
It MAY BE illegal , but as long as it not for profit and on a small scale , the local LEOs' do not care in my area . Believe me , I have asked and they do not care about it . They have bigger fish to fry . I actually sit back and have a few drinks of 'shine every so often with a few LEO's at functions .
You can go to ebay and a lot of other places and buy a still from what I'm told. Not sure how good they are. I've watched a few video's on youtube of people making it.

There is also the show on Discovery that follows moonshiners around. Not sure how much truth is in that show though.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
The show on Discovery is about those in it for profit . As for the legalities of it , the cops I have talked too stated that with illegal prescription drug use , meth labs , trying to shut down the "Detroit Connection" (meth coming into our area out of Detroit) makes someone brewing a little moonshine a non-issue . It is no different than buying a fifth of Everclear or even going to the local liquor store and buying 'shine itself .

These guys are a different breed up here , not that trusting , and are in competition as to who can make the best 'shine , so they keep their recipes close to the vest .

jaya

I knew Popcorn Sutton when he was alive and was probably the best moonshiner around. I play guitar and met him at some bluegrass jams. Making shine is illegal for the home brewer. That is not a local law enforcement issue but ATF. That is a federal charge. Many shiners protect their recipe greatly. Popcorn did pass on his recipe before he killed himself and it is now available legally. I think the only place you can get it is in TN right now. I did a side by side tasting of his shine and it taste the same.

As for making apple pie or other flavors, you need to know the proof of the shine to start with. Most moonshine is cut with water to get it down a little. Instead of cutting it with water, cut it with apple juice and/or apple cider then add a cinnamon stick to make apple pie.

I never made shine, but know how it is done.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
The show on Discovery is about those in it for profit . As for the legalities of it , the cops I have talked too stated that with illegal prescription drug use , meth labs , trying to shut down the "Detroit Connection" (meth coming into our area out of Detroit) makes someone brewing a little moonshine a non-issue . It is no different than buying a fifth of Everclear or even going to the local liquor store and buying 'shine itself .

These guys are a different breed up here , not that trusting , and are in competition as to who can make the best 'shine , so they keep their recipes close to the vest .
I tend to think the show on Discovery is faked though.

And I also forget where you hail from. I can see it being that way.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I never made shine, but know how it is done.
Some of the home brew books have gone into it some degree. I've been more interested in things like Rose Petal wine and other things I cannot buy in the store. I would rather leave moonshine to those that know what they are doing.

I heard about what happened to Popcorn through the Discovery show. Sad thing. I did see they are selling it, but I'm in a cultural wasteland I think sometimes. If it is not a big name, they do not sell it, liquor, wine or beer. I go around and ask for mead and I get back with a puzzled look, we do not sell meat, or on a rare occasion weed. But I will admit, there was one place I used to go that made their own mead.

H

Hank

I bet the moonshine around here is better than yours.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Around where ? This is not a competition , I know good 'Shine when I drink it and my buddies make great moonshine .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Around where ? This is not a competition , I know good 'Shine when I drink it and my buddies make great moonshine .
You should see the way people fight over things like BBQing, and Grilling. You would think they are measuring their manhood by it.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I talked to a judge about making Moonshine . A person may make up to 100 gallons a year for personal use . Any more than 100 gallons and you may be arrested by either federal or state authorities (according to the state laws on bootlegging ) .

jaya

You can brew up to 200 gallons of wine, and since 1978 you can brew beer as well. It is still against federal law preventing the making of moonshine, or any liquor, at home. You can get a permit to make alcohol for use as fuel, but that requires a permit. It is all about money. Taxes on whiskey are MUCH higher than on beer and wine. Very few states have laws allowing for the making of distiled spirits. Alaska, Missouri, and Nevada are the only ones that allow for it, and even then the law is a little fuzzy. Check http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/id8.html for some more info if interested.

This is from http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/faq.shtml#s7 which governs the production of alcohol.

You may not produce spirits for beverage purposes without paying taxes and without prior approval of paperwork to operate a distilled spirits plant. [See 26 U.S.C. 5601 & 5602 for some of the criminal penalties.] There are numerous requirements that must be met that also make it impractical to produce spirits for personal or beverage use. Some of these requirements are paying special tax, filing an extensive application, filing a bond, providing adequate equipment to measure spirits, providing suitable tanks and pipelines, providing a separate building (other than a dwelling) and maintaining detailed records, and filing reports. All of these requirements are listed in 27 CFR Part 19.
Spirits may be produced for non-beverage purposes for fuel use only without payment of tax, but you also must file an application, receive TTB's approval, and follow requirements, such as construction, use, records and reports.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
To be honest , I can care less if it is legal or not . I am not the one making it , nor do I have to be right all the time . If I want moonshine , I will go down to the local liquor store and make my purchase .

jaya

Bro. Ashlar, that was not aimed at you. I was just trying to protect a brother if they decided that they wanted to try and make some shine at home. They need to know the legalities of it. I believe it should be legal personally but the government does not. It is all a matter of money. The taxes on beer is only a couple cents a bottle and about 20 cents for a bottle of wine. It is a over 2 dollars for each 750ml bottle of 80 proof and the government does not want to loose that money. I have brewed beer and enjoy that. I would like to try moonshine but have not. Besides, now that I an get Popcorn's legally, there is not any need.

Winter

I've been here before
I would think that even distilling ethanol as a beverage (vs as a motor fuel), is illegal without the bundle of permits required, even if none is sold.
It wasn't that long ago that brewing beer and wine at home was still illegal, but ignored by authorities unless for profit.

S&F
Most jurisdictions now permit the brewing or fermenting of beverages under a certain quantity per year for personal use. (Distilling only in NZ)

Edit: Federal Law 27CFR25.205 says a person can produce 100 gallons a year for personal use and 200 gallons a year if there are two adults in the residence.

And spirits (ethanol) may be produced for non-beverage purposes without paying the excise tax. But you still need to file for a permit. http://www.ttb.gov/faqs/genalcohol.shtml