MM Topic Hopeful

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Are you duly and properly prepared? Have you shown proficiency in your previous Degree?

goomba

Found out about an hour ago the degree team has another 3rd degree that day. So it will not happen on the 9th. I guess I feel like I still have to much to leave to become a MM.

Duncan1574

Found out about an hour ago the degree team has another 3rd degree that day. So it will not happen on the 9th. I guess I feel like I still have to much to leave to become a MM.
Becoming an MM is much like getting your private pilot's license, once you have the piece of paper you are free to spend the rest of your journey learning.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
A word of advice , do not let those in the other bodies pressure you . Where I am from , we have Shriners and SR Masons standing outside the lodge room with petitions in hand waiting for the newly Raised Master Mason to exit the lodge room . I was handed a SR petition before I even went up stairs to be Raised .

If you WANT to petition , then fine . But do not let them push you into it as it is the modus operandi of local SR Masons in my area . SR Masons in my (old) Valley receive incentives for turning in petitions . The biggie is a discount on their yearly dues .

Duncan1574

My GL just put out an edict that a MM can not petition for appendant body until they have passed their MM profiency in Lodge and received the certificate of the same.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Good edict . A better edict would be a waiting period .

I find it funny that they have these incentives as if it is some high school extracurricular club (you sell so many candy bars and you get a free t-shirt) . Honestly it smacks of making money and nothing about educating Masons . A free SR polo shirt , wind breaker , cheaper dues and if you bring in enough petitions in year you do not have to pay dues at all that year . I have actually heard new SR Masons , when pushing petitions on new Master Mason , make this statement . And the thing is , these SR Masons are new to Fraternity themselves .

Sorry to derail your thread Goomba , but I hate seeing new Master Masons being hounded by the other bodies .

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
Congrats Goomba!

I probably won't be raised to MM until October. I found out the WM was hoping I would be the MM candidate for the Past Masters Night then. I feel it's an honor, so I decided to wait- or at least that's the current plan. We'll see.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
2sondad , I have been to Master Mason degrees held on Past Master nights . You should have a packed house for it .

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
Very good to know, Ashlar. I think it will really add to the fun. I consider myself lucky so far- my 1st two degrees had many PM's being involved, but nothing like a PM night.

My FC was really fun when I discovered that the SW and WM switched roles for the degree. I thought my ears were playing tricks on me and I found out I was right, when the time came. I think listening when I am raised and trying to figure out who is in what role will only add to the mystery.

DesertRacer

A word of advice , do not let those in the other bodies pressure you . Where I am from , we have Shriners and SR Masons standing outside the lodge room with petitions in hand waiting for the newly Raised Master Mason to exit the lodge room . I was handed a SR petition before I even went up stairs to be Raised .

If you WANT to petition , then fine . But do not let them push you into it as it is the modus operandi of local SR Masons in my area . SR Masons in my (old) Valley receive incentives for turning in petitions . The biggie is a discount on their yearly dues .
I never heard of them waiting to petition immediately aftwerwards, thank god I didnt experience that. You should enjoy going through at your own pace and when You are ready.

DesertRacer

Very good to know, Ashlar. I think it will really add to the fun. I consider myself lucky so far- my 1st two degrees had many PM's being involved, but nothing like a PM night.

My FC was really fun when I discovered that the SW and WM switched roles for the degree. I thought my ears were playing tricks on me and I found out I was right, when the time came. I think listening when I am raised and trying to figure out who is in what role will only add to the mystery.
The best part was listening and trying to remember it all to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I never heard of them waiting to petition immediately aftwerwards, thank god I didnt experience that. You should enjoy going through at your own pace and when You are ready.
It may not go on everywhere , too bad it happens here . At the last SR club meeting I attended most of the entire meeting , other than the 33rds slapping each other on the back , was about "pushing those petitions!" . It gets old having other bodies come into our lodges to push their petitions on new Masons and them trying to talk us who demitted to get back in .

goomba

As bad as I want to join another body after being raised. I have decided to wait at least 6 months.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I like the YR because it is much like being in the Craft lodge , but it takes a back seat to the Craft lodge . I also like the YR for a couple of other reasons ... There is no degree that elevates one member over another . Yes we have the KYCH , but that is never brought up , period . The Grand "what ever" in the YR bodies is like the Grand Master , he is no "higher" than any of the Companions or Sir Knights . And the YR bodies are local and because it is local we are a tight knit group .

The one thing I do not agree with in the YR are all the "invitational" bodies . I think all Masons meet on the Level and nothing should be invitational or limited to certain members . This is why I do not like the 33rd degree in the SR . SR Masons can argue with me till they are blue in the face all they want that it is given only to those who show their dedication to the SR and the Craft , which is true in some cases , but as a whole I know for a fact that that is crap .

Winter

I've been here before
Ashlar, are the invitational only bodies any different than the appendant bodies that say a Mason must be a Christian to join?

You know my stance. Abolish all appendant bodies.