How has Freemasonary changed you?

seeker

Brethen, I was just wondering does any body have a story as to how joining the craft has changed their life for the better? If so how? Just wondering Seeker.:)

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I must admit, I do not have 1 defining moment that joining the fraternity has changed my life for the better. Through meeting others with the same moral idea and direction, it has bettered my life by making those associations. Through education by those, I have increased my masonic and intellectual knowledge. I don't know anyone who can say that Masonry has changed their life for the better, just by joining. I am told, and have told so many candidates and members, you get out of freemasonry, what you put into freemasonry. If you make it a part of your life and follow the principles of the fraternity, it will enrich your life and therefore change your life.

Just my opinion, maybe someone else has had a life altering experience.

berthemp

I was told by a friend that I had become more accepting, thoughtful, and slower to anger since I was raised. He has since joined and was raised 3 months back. Not a bad reflection on the Craft.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
When I was working on my EA proficiency, I would go down to Lodge on Lodge night and run the catechisms with my coach. One night, my coach (who was also Lodge Secretary) was too busy to work with me so he teamed me up with this gruff old banty rooster of a man, whom I had never met. This old son-of-a-gun was driving me crazy: he interrupted me constantly to correct every little error (he wouldn't let me slide on even an 'a' instead of a 'the'), or to interject lessons on the meanings of what I'd just repeated. I was really getting frustrated with this old fart!

Anyhow, another superannuated man that I had never met comes into the room and looks at this dude and says, "Hey! I haven't seen you for a long time! And who is this young man you're talking to?"

Well, my 'new' coach turned and gave me a look that defied me to doubt him, even momentarily and says, "I don't know what his name is (meaning me), but he's my Brother and I love him."

That little lesson struck me to my heart and it's one I've carried with me since: Brotherly love.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
My family tells me I'm more patient. My friends wonder what's different but seem to like it.

The tangible benefit that I've noticed is when I travel I'm never alone. I was in Jersey City a couple of weeks ago and while handing in the keys to my company's cage in the data center, the guy at the desk said, "Thanks, brother." He saw my ring, I saw his. We had drinks and a meal together. That same trip, I sat in Lodge with one of the Brothers on this forum. I've been approached at a diner by the owner who is a brother. I've been greeted warmly by police officers who see the square and compasses on my truck. I've had wonderful conversations all over with friends I had not met yet all over. It takes at least 30 minutes to get out of my local bank now as many of the people who work there are Masons. It's great to be part of a large family :D

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
My family tells me I'm more patient. My friends wonder what's different but seem to like it.

The tangible benefit that I've noticed is when I travel I'm never alone. I was in Jersey City a couple of weeks ago and while handing in the keys to my company's cage in the data center, the guy at the desk said, "Thanks, brother." He saw my ring, I saw his. We had drinks and a meal together. That same trip, I sat in Lodge with one of the Brothers on this forum. I've been approached at a diner by the owner who is a brother. I've been greeted warmly by police officers who see the square and compasses on my truck. I've had wonderful conversations all over with friends I had not met yet all over. It takes at least 30 minutes to get out of my local bank now as many of the people who work there are Masons. It's great to be part of a large family :D
I'm on the train heading back to Jersey City right now. I was originally scheduled to be on the 11:13 AM train but when I went to check in at about 8:30, the man at the ticket counter said, "I see you're a travelling man." When I replied appropriately, he mentioned I could get on the 9:10 train and save myself a bit of time. I still got charged a fee to change my ticket, but I met an other brother I hadn't known before.

I'm looking forward to seeing Brother Johnson at the datacenter and Brother Elliot if he has any time tomorrow or later today. They both have my phone number. It's great to travel when you're a travelling man :D

Freemasonry has made me less cynical, more patient, and a huge believer of brotherly love, relief, and truth. Five years ago, I was separated from my wife and in the process of divorce. I quickly realized that I had no friends. They were friends, but they were all husbands of my wife's friends. After we moved to MN, I worked all the time while she built friendships, so, I lost all my friends in the divorce. I started dating a woman, who is now my lovely bride, and we were talking about the fact that I had no friends. I mentioned that I was thinking of joining the Eagles, or Elks, or something to meet people. She told me I needed to talk to her dad about the Masons. So I approached him, we had several fabulous discussions, and I was made a Mason. I was immediately embraced with brotherly love. I have more "friends and brothers" than any point in my life since college in the 80's. These men are true brothers, and we all truly depend on each other, probably moreso than blood relatives. Nearly all of my friends are Masons, and the way we all go to bat for each other on a moments notice has really changed my outlook on the goodness that can be found in men. I could go on about this all day, but I fear I'm rambling.
Mike

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Freemasonry has made me less cynical, more patient, and a huge believer of brotherly love, relief, and truth. Five years ago, I was separated from my wife and in the process of divorce. I quickly realized that I had no friends. They were friends, but they were all husbands of my wife's friends. After we moved to MN, I worked all the time while she built friendships, so, I lost all my friends in the divorce. I started dating a woman, who is now my lovely bride, and we were talking about the fact that I had no friends. I mentioned that I was thinking of joining the Eagles, or Elks, or something to meet people. She told me I needed to talk to her dad about the Masons. So I approached him, we had several fabulous discussions, and I was made a Mason. I was immediately embraced with brotherly love. I have more "friends and brothers" than any point in my life since college in the 80's. These men are true brothers, and we all truly depend on each other, probably moreso than blood relatives. Nearly all of my friends are Masons, and the way we all go to bat for each other on a moments notice has really changed my outlook on the goodness that can be found in men. I could go on about this all day, but I fear I'm rambling.
Mike
This was my problem , friends . I have found that there are two bonds that have drawn me closer to other men , the Marine Corps (and combat) and Freemasonry . I am close to both of my brothers , Freemasons and Marines , than I am of guys I have known since grade school .

A school buddy may call me and we have nothing to talk about , but a Marine Corps buddy calls me and we can talk for hours . Same with my Brothers in lodge , I can talk with them for hours .

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I've always had trouble with being a leader.
School, Boy Scouts, military (even as an officer), I could not seem to get comfortable leading other people.
In 1995, I was appointed a Steward of my Lodge.
At the close of 1996, as senior Steward, I was invited to skip Junior Deacon as there was a drop-out ahead of me in the officers, but after I pondered it, I declined, deciding I needed every year in the 'chairs' to prepare to lead the Lodge.
After speaking my mind on a volatile subject in 1998 (when I was Senior Deacon), I was taught humility by not being elected Junior Warden.
On election night in late 1999, I was taught Brotherly Love by the current SD, who declined election to JW (he'd already been through the Chairs), to allow me to be elected JW for 2000.
In 2002 I served as Master of my Lodge. It was probably July before it happened, but I finally felt, at 51, that I could be a leader.
Thank you, Freemasonry!

S&F