How have you been asked if you are a Mason.

berthemp

1. I've been called Hiram
2. Asked if I travel
3. Asked if I am looking for that which was lost
4. If I am looking for light
5. if I am on the square
6. Whence came you?

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
1. I've been called Hiram
2. Asked if I travel
3. Asked if I am looking for that which was lost
4. If I am looking for light
5. if I am on the square
6. Whence came you?
Yep. All those and more. The oddest one I ever had was in an elevator. A guy saw my ring and complimented me on it, saying it was quite beautiful. I thanked him for the compliment and then he flashed the SG of a MM on me, told me his Lodge name and number and then got off the elevator. I was a little dumbfounded.

Ref #3.... had this question asked of me shortly after raised..... my answer... "Na, I think I know where it is".... I was at BassPro....

Michigan Mason

When asked "How old is your Grandmother" I was told to answer somewhat like this because my Lodge is a low number. She is fine she has roots in Phoenix for 13 years and now resides in Ypsilanti Mi. Hence Phoenix #13 Ypsilanti Mi.
My Dad, also a Mason, Was at the American Legion one night and a Brother noticed his ring and began talking with him and calling him Brother and saying give my Brother what he needs. After he left the other people in the A/L asked my Dad about this and they knew he had only 1 brother and didn't know this one. Several other Masons were there just laughed and said that he was their Brother also. They got a good laugh others just didn't know what to say.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Is it not part of the 'fun' of Freemasonry the secrecy? Being part of something that is, by its nature, not common?

brothaofdes

Was at a reunion this weekend for the Valley of Allentown and I asked several of the brothers including three 33's if they ever heard "How old is your grandmother?", and all I got was strange looks and blank stares.
I wish someone would elaborate, because I don't have a clue what this refers to, but keep in mind, this is a public forum.
Keep in mind that PA Masons are quite, er... different than other jurisdictions. We do not teach the same things as you do. I have also brought up this conversation to my brethren:
i.e. how do I respond to the questions:
1. Are you a traveling man?
2. How old is your mother/grandmother? (I figured this one out ok)
3. I've been called Hiram
4. Asked if I am looking for that which was lost
5. If I am looking for light
6. if I am on the square
7. Whence came you?

Most PA masons have no clue. This is why I come to sites like this, to learn. I know these questions cannot be answered publicly, but if someone can start a PM with me, I would appreciate it.

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
Keep in mind that PA Masons are quite, er... different than other jurisdictions. We do not teach the same things as you do. I have also brought up this conversation to my brethren:
i.e. how do I respond to the questions:
1. Are you a traveling man?
2. How old is your mother/grandmother? (I figured this one out ok)
3. I've been called Hiram
4. Asked if I am looking for that which was lost
5. If I am looking for light
6. if I am on the square
7. Whence came you?

Most PA masons have no clue. This is why I come to sites like this, to learn. I know these questions cannot be answered publicly, but if someone can start a PM with me, I would appreciate it.
You're not as different as you think, it seems. I've been asked all but #6 in Ohio.

In Ohio, asking your grandmother's age is your home Lodge, your great-grandmother your Grand Lodge. This is a problem- my grandmother is 144, my great-grandmother 202. :eek: My grandfather's grandmother was 486, making it even worse. :p

Duncan1574

You're not as different as you think, it seems. I've been asked all but #6 in Ohio.

In Ohio, asking your grandmother's age is your home Lodge, your great-grandmother your Grand Lodge. This is a problem- my grandmother is 144, my great-grandmother 202. :eek: My grandfather's grandmother was 486, making it even worse. :p
Grandma is 17, Grandpa liked 'em young!

Maybe your grandfather and I are cousins then. :D

R

removed121010

I was out on the town talking with a beautiful young lady.
Her father walks by and makes a MM sign.
lol
also traveled east, searching for light
A gentleman once called me the walking dude in reference of traveling man

Winter

I've been here before
I was out on the town talking with a beautiful young lady.
Her father walks by and makes a MM sign.
lol
also traveled east, searching for light
A gentleman once called me the walking dude in reference of traveling man
And how would you know what the MM sign is if you're not a Mason? Why would he think you were a Mason? Just curious.

Winter

I've been here before
Yeah, some of his posts are pretty contradictory and some he seems to be intimating he is a Mason while some clearly say he is not.

Duncan1574

Yeah, some of his posts are pretty contradictory and some he seems to be intimating he is a Mason while some clearly say he is not.
Over there :points: he stated that he is going to a dinner at the Lodge near him, that he had the petition filled out and just needed the signatures.

Several of us encouraged him.

(Not sure if talking about someone like they are not in the room (3rd person) is very friendly. :confused: