How to begin

HarrisonK

I think before I ask any questions I should briefly introduce myself.

My name is Harrison and I am currently a student at American University in Washington D.C.. My friend got me into masonry last year by explaining to me what it was, or what he thought it was. Since then I've been doing countless hours of research about it and to my surprise, I found out my grandfather is a MM and was one of the founders of a lodge in my hometown. He then helped my friend get into a lodge.

I'd like to join but I'm under age. From what I understand one must be 21 years old to join, except for in PA, where one has to be 18. It is my understanding that this is because lodges in PA do not serve alcohol.

As I said earlier I live in D.C. and my dorm is about two blocks from a lodge. I was wondering if D.C. has the same age limit as PA, or if the age is 21 here. Is it okay to walk into the lodge on a night of a meeting and ask to speak to someone about joining?

Is there anything else I can do to get involved in masonry before my 21st birthday? After Thanksgiving I'm going to apply for an internship at the Supreme Council (Scottish Rite Freemasonry - Welcome to the Supreme Council, 33°, Ancient & Accepted Scottish Rite, Southern Jurisdiction, USA) to try to be involved before I am a mason. I have a few books on order and I've watched many documentaries online. I'm also planning on taking a course the Supreme Council offers to try to learn a little before I apply.

What else can I do?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Firstly , a few states or jurisdictions as we call them have lowered their ages to 18 . We in Ky lowered ours a couple of years ago .

I also can not tell you how happy I am to hear of young man like yourself being interested in Freemasonry .

I do not think you can take the courses that the Scottish Rite has to offer because one must give their Masonic affliation details when ordering the course .

You can join a lodge within the Grand Lodge of District of Columbia at the age of 18 , just checked their home page . So there's that .

http://www.dcgrandlodge.org/content/how-become-freemason

HarrisonK

Firstly , a few states or jurisdictions as we call them have lowered their ages to 18 . We in Ky lowered ours a couple of years ago .

I also can not tell you how happy I am to hear of young man like yourself being interested in Freemasonry .

I do not think you can take the courses that the Scottish Rite has to offer because one must give their Masonic affliation details when ordering the course .

You can join a lodge within the Grand Lodge of District of Columbia at the age of 18 , just checked their home page . So there's that .

How to Become a Freemason | Grand Lodge, F.A.A.M., of the District of Columbia
Thank you for the quick response! This is probably the best news I've heard all day.

I will probably go to the lodge by my school tonight since they meet on the first Thursday of every month and see what to do from there!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
It seems more and more Jurisdictions are lowering their age to 18 . I really do not see the difference bewteen it and 21 years of age . I know 40 and 50 year olds who are too immature for Freemasonry . I do know that would have black-balled myself when I was 21 !

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I agree with Ashlar, there is not a lot of difference between 18 & 21. My father handed me a petition when I was 19 after I had asked him about his lodge. I was too interested in myself to take him up on it. I waited another 15 years to join, I sometimes regret not joining at 19 but being realistic I would not have been very good at the Masonic Tenants at that time.

HarrisonK

I just thought I'd give a little bit of progress.

I met with the Jr. Warden of my local lodge this evening to speak about the petition process and to ask any questions I have. I'm going to a dinner and an open ceremony where they formally introduce this years officals in a few weeks.

So far everything is looking good and I'm excited about beining the process!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I just thought I'd give a little bit of progress.

I met with the Jr. Warden of my local lodge this evening to speak about the petition process and to ask any questions I have. I'm going to a dinner and an open ceremony where they formally introduce this years officals in a few weeks.

So far everything is looking good and I'm excited about beining the process!
That is great , keep us posted .

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
Harrison, I'm glad you were able to get the information you sought. Keep us posted on your progress.

Brother Liberty

Service Officer
Go to as many events as you can. The more brothers you meet, and the more things you take part in, the better decision you will be able to make as to whether this is the right path for you. It sounds like you are doing all the right things so far.

The other reason to meet as my brothers as you can during more social situations is so that you feel more comfortable during your degree work. The better you know someone the more comfortable you will be asking questions.