I scored some books!

G

Gary

I was given some books that belonged to a member of our Lodge who recently passed. As saddened as I was of the loss of our brother, It was nice that the family wanted another Mason to have his collection. He was also a 33rd degree SR in the NJ.

I received:

Introduction to freemasonry- Carl H. Claudy (all three books in one volume)
Sources of Masonic Symbolism- Alex Home
Our Stations and Places- Henry G. Meacham
Freemasonry it's Aims & Ideals-J.S.M. Ward
The meaning of Masonry-W.L. Wilmshurst
The Brotherhood-The Secret world of the Freemasons- Stephen Knight
Greater Love Hath No Man- A play by Carl H. Claudy
A Rose Upon the Altar- A play by Carl H. Claudy
He That Believeth-A play by Carl H. Claudy

Is anyone familiar with these? I know about the Introduction to freemasonry, as I've tried to find the three separate volumes. I didn't know Claudy wrote Masonic plays!

G

Gary

Thanks! I thought they would be a nice addition to my fledgling collection, but I don't know much about many of them. If anyone has any info or comments on these I'd appreciate it.

johnj1582

I've read "The Meaning of Masonry". it's pretty good, but it's a lot like "the builders" in that it's somewhere about 100 year old language, with complex sentence structures, and, at least in my copy, many many many typos.

nevertheless, a great book, and looks like you've got quite a bit of reading to do!

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I've read "The Meaning of Masonry". it's pretty good, but it's a lot like "the builders" in that it's somewhere about 100 year old language, with complex sentence structures, and, at least in my copy, many many many typos.

nevertheless, a great book, and looks like you've got quite a bit of reading to do!
100 year old language? How about our rituals or obligations?

G

Gary

Claudy's books are wonderful .
I found through research that Claudy wrote 12 plays. It would be neat if I could locate the rest of them. The MSA supposedly published them, but I don't know if they still do or not.

If i could find them, I'd put the collection in our Lodge library for use for special events or occasions if the ned arose. I hear they are quite good. I've yet to read the one's I have.

johnj1582

100 year old language? How about our rituals or obligations?
I'm not complaining in the least. I really enjoyed it, personally. But I do know for a fact that a good number of brothers here didn't really like that style of writing from back when we tried to do "The Builders" discussion group.

G

Gary

I'm not complaining in the least. I really enjoyed it, personally. But I do know for a fact that a good number of brothers here didn't really like that style of writing from back when we tried to do "The Builders" discussion group.
If I'm forced to read something like that I would do it. I just don't appreciate the style of writing that allows the author to fill four pages of nauseatingly redundant rhetoric in order to get his point across. Say what you have to say, and get on with it! It would seem more of an effort by the author to fill space on the pages than anything.

Even Albert Pike wasn't that bad. His writing style is far from what we would consider modern, and he didn't drone on like that. I think it is the author and has nothing to do with the time period in which it was written.

G

Gary

Looking at a similar thread on another site, I saw a recommendation for "The meaning of Masonry" by -W.L. Wilmshurst.

After I finish the book I'm reading now, I'll be sure to pick that one up next.

CoachN

Builder Builder
I read that book on my mp3 player - downloaded a text file and started reading in between things.

I was amazed at how many things he wrote that I agreed with and disagreed with. It's a good read especially if you are familiar with my books ;). It's a nice contrast.

G

Gary

I thumbed through the book, and skimmed the chapter on "Masonry as a philosophy". I saw a resemblance to your work. It looks like a good read for sure!