initiation into accepted apprentice

DavisB

I'm not sure where you are from, but that is definitely not the case in my Jurisdiction. On the average, it's about 2000 words per degree. I've never heard it done in 30 seconds.
I just checked and PA has a ODC. So I guess the memorization work would be very different if you went through that way.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Many, if not most, jurisdictions have differing requirements for posting. Wisconsin's is a series of questions and answers followed by the grips, signs and words and then the obligation. Relatively quick and not particularly challenging. Alaska uses the old Washington State catechism. Texas uses an even older (and longer) version. I often wonder what will become of our fraternity: the keys to the esoterics were hidden in the old fashioned catechisms. More and more often, jurisdictions are 'dumbing it down' to make it easier.

Laxguy38922

He is talking about in Pa there is only 30seconds during the degree that the EA needs to know to proceed not actual profiency. Pa, is alittle different then other states when it comes to profiency.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Many, if not most, jurisdictions have differing requirements for posting. Wisconsin's is a series of questions and answers followed by the grips, signs and words and then the obligation. Relatively quick and not particularly challenging. Alaska uses the old Washington State catechism. Texas uses an even older (and longer) version. I often wonder what will become of our fraternity: the keys to the esoterics were hidden in the old fashioned catechisms. More and more often, jurisdictions are 'dumbing it down' to make it easier.
'not particularly challenging' is a relative term, I have committed many things to memory, including Old King James english & Robert Burns' Scottish anglish, and do ceremonies all the time in my officiant business, however, for me anyway, it was the structure of the wording that gave me pause.

I would like to see the old school catechisms to see how they differ from the Wisconsin program.

thebrianmo

I was very diligent learning the EA exam, so much so that I could read it all the way through with no problem. When I gave the Exam, the brother who did it took the book. I knew most of it, but needed a little help. The older brothers were impressed. Apparently they expected that I would just give the sign, word and grip to be passed. I enjoy learning the work.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I was very diligent learning the EA exam, so much so that I could read it all the way through with no problem. When I gave the Exam, the brother who did it took the book. I knew most of it, but needed a little help. The older brothers were impressed. Apparently they expected that I would just give the sign, word and grip to be passed. I enjoy learning the work.
My mentor is a District Deputy and feels that I should know that meanings and well as the words of the exam. Many discussions about nuances and discussions about dual member in the local Research Lodge. :)