Inside the strange and secret world of the Freemasons

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
For as long as there have been freemasons, there have been conspiracy theories. They are the secret rulers of the world. They are in league with the devil. They look out for one another when it comes to the best jobs. Douglas Grey has heard them all before and nothing fazes him. The Deputy Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Ireland says he even gets a kick out of the conspiracies. "They're so far-fetched," he laughs.
"I read the last Dan Brown book [The Lost Symbol] and there were definitely aspects of it I recognised as a Freemason in terms of symbols, for instance, but a lot of it is a far cry from the freemasonry I know."
Incidentally, Brown's novel is sympathetic to Masons and their traditions.
Grey -- "Dougie", as he is affectionately known -- is a 67-year-old Dubliner who has been a Freemason for 30 years. "We have nothing to hide whatsoever. The only secretive aspects of Freemasonry are the forms of recognition -- passwords and handshakes -- and that dates from the earliest days."

more Inside the strange and secret world of the Freemasons - Lifestyle, Frontpage - Independent.ie