Just wanted to share

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
While growing up , I had this friend , she was from a family who was dirt poor . And when I say dirt poor , I MEAN dirt poor . Her mother died when she was very young and she spent her childhood taking care of her "disabled" alcoholic father and brothers , she never had a life of her own and she always did without .

I always protected her from the bullies who liked to make fun of those who were less fortunate than themselves . She was on the "no touch list" and all knew it . A few days before graduation she asked me what she should do after high school and I told her "RUN! Get as far away from this place as you can and live your life , be happy and do not look back !" She would have ended up caring for her family the rest of her life . I went on to tell her that maybe she could go into the Navy or Air Force .

After some searching , I finally found her . She had made a career of the Navy . She is way up there in rank , she is married with a family of her own . She made a great life for herself , has more than she would have only dreamed of if she would have stayed here . She is HAPPY .

I sent her a message telling her it does my heart well finding her so happy . Her message back to me was "THANK YOU !!!!! not for being happy for me NOW but for the advice you gave me 20 some odd years ago and the difference it made in my life " .

I have often wondered what happened to her as I went through the ups an downs of my own life . And I am beyond words as to to how I feel about her now , and I can not believe that I actually touched someone's life such as this by a few simple words . I am SO proud of her , she has always held a special place in my heart due to her upbringing and the terrible circumstances of her youth .

FF Sparky

Very touching story. I have given some advice, good ones. Some people don't take the advice. Some do and it changes their whole life. I know your not looking for praise from us, but as a great man says 'Kudos'

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I know her brothers (father has passed away) and they still live the same way now as they did growing up , hand to mouth and as long as they have a case of cheap beer or a piece of cheap whiskey then they are happy .

My friend reached down and pulled herself up by the boot straps , she changed her stars and now , well .......... , she got out . She is now an inspiration to me .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I know her brothers (father has passed away) and they still live the same way now as they did growing up , hand to mouth and as long as they have a case of cheap beer or a piece of cheap whiskey then they are happy .

My friend reached down and pulled herself up by the boot straps , she changed her stars and now , well .......... , she got out . She is now an inspiration to me .
That is a very touching story. in a time when it's so easy to belittle those less fortunate than us, you chose to see someone in need and provide Brotherly (even before you were a Mason!) protection. That is commendable. I'm glad to hear that things turned out well for her.

It's often been said that one can "change their stars". I don't believe that to be true. It's how you navigate with them that leads you to a wonderful destination. It's fitting that she joined the Navy, don't you think? :1-wink-grin:

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have always liked the saying "Change your stars" , but what you say is true , One must learn to navigate within them .

It is fitting that she joined the Navy . I am just so proud of her that I am about to bust . It just shows that one can rise above it , if they truly want a better life . When I seen the picture of her in full uniform now , compared to the girl I remember all through school , I was speechless ( and a little choked up) .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I have always liked the saying "Change your stars" , but what you say is true , One must learn to navigate within them .

It is fitting that she joined the Navy . I am just so proud of her that I am about to bust . It just shows that one can rise above it , if they truly want a better life . When I seen the picture of her in full uniform now , compared to the girl I remember all through school , I was speechless ( and a little choked up) .
You technically can't change your stars, but (there is always a but...lol) if you look at the big picture; as you navigate your view of the stars changes. So I guess they do change (perspective).

Her having joined the Navy is ironic. Sailors navigate with the stars!

Great story!