Learning & Memorizing Ritual

SageMother

So what does everyone think of this article Page About Freemasonry, Essays: Learning & Memorizing Ritual ?

Do you use similar techniques or do you have your own methods for memorizing the information required?
I can identify with the article on many levels. In Wicca, Witchcraft, and Ceremonial Magick there is a tendency toward some really bland rituals. Concerns about frightening people, not appealing to everyone's sensibilities, and a basic fear of strong emotion have become common in when I have written powerful rituals in groups I have belonged to. I get really tired of rituals that don't bring forth the powerful emotions that make them productive.

littlecat123

It seems like a good way to outline how to memorize ritual for someone who has never done it before.

Growing up Catholic, I was raised with ritual. Consequently, I find that in my everyday life I am very ritualistic.

I think the best thing is to find a comfort level with the ritual -- think about it when you're not doing it. Challenge yourself each time you do it to perfect it from the time before.

That is what has worked for me.

ninikins

Memorizing information is oftehn difficult anyway but I feel that its easier when its spiritual stuff that you ' feel' .

G

Gary

I found the essay informative and interesting. I too, have used many of the principles outlined for memorization. While I've only had to do it for the catechisms so far, I'll undoubtedly be using this same method for ritual and lectures.

This might make a nice sticky for new Masons, or those either having trouble or wanting to improve upon their lectures/ritual delivery.

Winter

I've been here before
Excellent article and I will be passing that on as well.

It's very similar to the way that i learned it, which is a method called "chunking."

1. Memorize a sentence until you can speak like you would if you were just talking.

2. Add the next sentence to the one just learned until you can do the same thing with both of then.

3. Repeat.

As stated in the article, most paragraphs are expressing a coherent thought. Assign a one word descriptor to each paragraph in the lecture you are learning. this will help you as you are going through the lecture to not only get them in the correct order, but make sure you don't skip any.

I agree wholeheartedly with Brother Waks that poor ritual work is a serious problem.

G

Gary

Excellent article and I will be passing that on as well.

It's very similar to the way that i learned it, which is a method called "chunking."

1. Memorize a sentence until you can speak like you would if you were just talking.

2. Add the next sentence to the one just learned until you can do the same thing with both of them.

3. Repeat.

As stated in the article, most paragraphs are expressing a coherent thought. Assign a one word descriptor to each paragraph in the lecture you are learning. This will help you as you are going through the lecture to not only get them in the correct order, but make sure you don't skip any.

I agree wholeheartedly with Brother Waks that poor ritual work is a serious problem.
Yep! Me too. By the time I get finished forwarding all of this info to my brethren, they are going to start wondering about me...:D

I'm loving this forum. What a resource!