Lodge Copernicus No. 246 (two thumbs up)

Winter

I've been here before
Here is a unique Lodge. They are a Craft Lodge that works all 5 degrees.

Lodge Copernicus

Lodge Copernicus | Freemasonry SA

The Lodge will work the five degrees, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd of the Craft, the Exaltation in the Royal Arch Chapter and Advancement in the Mark, These are the five degrees of pure and antient masonry which are the only ones recognized by the Craft.

I really like this idea. Maybe even take it further and abolish all appendant bodies so that there is only Craft Masonry. (I know I'll be taking heat for that comment!)

Winter

I've been here before
In many Craft Lodges in the UK (not all, but particularly in Scotland) the Mark Master degree is part of the Craft Degrees. Bro. Jake Meek once told me that it is seen as the completion of the Fellowcraft degree.

For some reason here in the States these degrees were rolled into the York Rite instead of being part of the Craft Lodge. I'm fairly certain that even during the colonial period that some Lodges or jurisdictions overseas that were Warranting Lodges here had already changed to the practice of only conferring the first three degrees. I'm not an expert on the matter, but give me a few days and I will be!

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
My mind is blown! I would love to see something like this. Even if it was just a in state travelling Lodge or maybe just one per jurisdiction.

Oh are the higher degrees the script for other movies? We've found that the wording here in Ohio sounds a bit like the writers for Airplane we Masons. Random, sorry.

Winter

I've been here before
WBro. Winter, I'm going to need you to tell me how you research some of these things. Where to look? What you're reading? Can I find this for free?:D
One of the best sources are the Brothers themselves from different jurisdictions. I have made friends with Brothers from all over the world. Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, France, you name it. I talk with them and learn how they work Masonry.

A great resource available these days are the webpages for different Grand Lodges. Often they will have background information as well as other educational material there.

Also, while FMH is my favorite Masonic forum, it is by no means the only one. I recommend one of the European or International forums. These will allow you to discourse with Brothers from around the world and as long as you remember your Ob. they are usually more than happy to answer questions from us silly Americans. :) Many Brothers have remarked that they are happy that more American Masons are taking a stronger interest in traditional Masonry.

This should help you get started. Hope it helps!

[edit] I cannot stress enough how valuable a resource is the PS Review!!!!!!!!!
http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/

Definately two thumbs up Winter! But I just took a few minutes to browse the website of Benjamin Franklin #83, and I'll give three thumbs up for that....Who can lend a thumb?

G

Gary

<snip> I just took a few minutes to browse the website of Benjamin Franklin #83, and I'll give three thumbs up for that....Who can lend a thumb?
I'll lend a thumb! I wish I could get an honorary membership!

G

Gary

Yeah, I'm looking forward to that. But I still think it would be cook to be a member of BF #83. The name has got a nice ring to it... Not to mention the logo is way cool. can't ya pull some strings? LOL :p

I see a Junto or LAC in the near future...

Winter

I've been here before
Yeah, I'm looking forward to that. But I still think it would be cook to be a member of BF #83. The name has got a nice ring to it... Not to mention the logo is way cool. can't ya pull some strings? LOL :p

I see a Junto or LAC in the near future...
Sorry Brother. Prob not gonna happen! LOL

But would you rather be an honorary member of a great Lodge you've never sat in? Or would you like to be one of the Brothers who founded a traditional Lodge and that Brothers look to for inspiration!

Start doing your homework.
Junto (club) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How to Start a Franklin Circle Adult Self Directed Learning Group - wikiHow

American Philosophical Society

G

Gary

Sorry Brother. Prob not gonna happen! LOL

But would you rather be an honorary member of a great Lodge you've never sat in? Or would you like to be one of the Brothers who founded a traditional Lodge and that Brothers look to for inspiration!
I was just kidding with you about being an honorary member...

Thanks for the links! I'll look them over.

Winter

I've been here before
We get a crap load of requests all the time for plural membership or associate membership or honorary membership. We just tell them, start your own! lol

G

Gary

Yeah, but this is ME we are talking about... I want one of those way cool certificates to hang on my wall! Ben Franklin is my hero! :p:D

edwmax

In many Craft Lodges in the UK (not all, but particularly in Scotland) the Mark Master degree is part of the Craft Degrees. Bro. Jake Meek once told me that it is seen as the completion of the Fellowcraft degree.

For some reason here in the States these degrees were rolled into the York Rite instead of being part of the Craft Lodge. I'm fairly certain that even during the colonial period that some Lodges or jurisdictions overseas that were Warranting Lodges here had already changed to the practice of only conferring the first three degrees. I'm not an expert on the matter, but give me a few days and I will be!
The "The Articles of Union" of the Moderns & Ancient Grand Lodges of 1813 is what separated the Craft Lodge (3 degrees) from the 'higher degrees' and retains the "Holy Royal Arch" degree (actual Past Master degree). By mutual agreement, recognition was given to the RAM & AASR as governing body for the higher degrees and as legitimate Masonic organizations . http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/england_grand_lodge.html

In the above referenced Craft Lodges, I think if one would look close, it would be found the Grand Lodge does not govern the degrees above the 3rd; the Mark Master degree.

*** Does anyone have a link to a printed copy of the "The Articles of Union"?? I cant find one at the moment.