MM Topic Looking like a Mason

I judge a person based on how they look
I think that you will agree Brother that the quote above is taken out of context. I do this to illustrate the importance of context.

What I wrote was: If it is a symbol that truly has only negative connotations and this was known to the Brother when he got it…then he is not the type of man that should have been allowed through the West Gate. We make good men better. We do not make bad men good.

I stand by this statement. As Masons, we are called to judge with candor. "Tolerance" can easily become complacency in our duties as a Mason. To state that all who have passed through the West Gate are worthy I believe to be wishful thinking at best. Our Fraternity places so much focus on increasing numbers that it often fails to focus on worthiness. To clarify, I am certainly not judging this Brother, or his tattoo. I do not even know what it is. As I stated in my previous post, if it were a tattoo that was done knowing that it had only negative connotations, then he is certainly not what I would consider to be worthy of the badge of a Mason. However,the Brother in question has passed the test and is therefore my Brother.

I would agree with your clarification of my statement, however. The Brother owes no explanation to anyone. He has passed his examination and is now deserving of Master's Wages. He is judged now based on his actions as a Mason. I do not seek to pacify the profane or even those within the craft that do not have a working knowledge of our symbols and therefore sees only what society at large might see.

Again, to the OP. We need to walk the talk. Our ritual is more than just mere words. It is the internal qualifications of a man that recommend him to be made a Mason.

Mt Sinai

I agree with everyone who stated that once investigated, initiated, passed, & raised, it is improper to question the character or integrity of a brother.

As for "being a spokesperson" or ending up in a newspaper picture "representing Masonry"...we really shouldn't be concerned. We have always, and will always, have to deal with bad press aimed at profane masses. What if a newspaper printed a picture of someone wearing a shirt that had an image of an upside down pentagram...they might think we're EVIL! You see my point, I'm sure...

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I agree with everyone who stated that once investigated, initiated, passed, & raised, it is improper to question the character or integrity of a brother.

As for "being a spokesperson" or ending up in a newspaper picture "representing Masonry"...we really shouldn't be concerned. We have always, and will always, have to deal with bad press aimed at profane masses. What if a newspaper printed a picture of someone wearing a shirt that had an image of an upside down pentagram...they might think we're EVIL! You see my point, I'm sure...
Sometimes I wonder about those Eastern Start Ladies... Those knitting needles... It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! Bwaa hahaha...

Winter

I've been here before
I don't think anything could be further from the truth. That would mean ignoring any future bad acts while they are a Brother as well as any past behavior that was not found during the usually inadequate investigation. We should constantly police ourselves to maintain a membership of the highest calibre.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I don't think anything could be further from the truth. That would mean ignoring any future bad acts while they are a Brother as well as any past behavior that was not found during the usually inadequate investigation. We should constantly police ourselves to maintain a membership of the highest calibre.
A quiet voice in their ear....

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I was going to post something of this exact nature. How 'bout that, Winter? We agree on something! (lolol)

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
AGREED , As a Past GM stated in my lodge a couple of years ago "not only do we need to tighten up on the ICs' but we also need to get the riff raff who are already Master Masons out of our fraternity" .