Made the decision, and now moving forward

MOTT

Hi everyone. I started researching Freemasonry a little after listening to some lectures about Mozart's "The Magic Flute" and learning about how he and the librettist (both Freemasons) incorporated Masonic ideas into it's fantastical story. Knowing my late grandfather had been a Freemason, I decided to do a little study, reading Freemasonry for Dummies as well as some history and art books. The more I learned, the more I thought that it might be for me. I do not believe in signs, but my rediscovery of my grandfathers MM ring which he left to me 20 plus years ago inspired me to take steps. I went to the askafreemason forum, read a lot, asked a few questions, and received great advice.
I went to public events at two lodges close to my home, exchanged email with a very nice guy from a lodge a few towns over, and finally decided to petition a local lodge that meets about a mile from my house. I submitted my paperwork a week and a half ago, and I have a Pre-application interview next Tuesday. This is apparently fairly standard in Massachusetts. It sounds like a chance to make sure the fit is right before making the petition formal. I believe the meeting is with the WM and a couple of other officers. I a, on vacation right now, so I am in no hurry to be back home, but now I have something to look forward to when I return.

It's all interesting and exciting.

MWS

Wonderful news, and congratulations. Sounds like you've done some responsible research and got your ducks in a row. I think is unfortunate that more potential candidates don't spend the time getting to know the Lodge members in person...you need to interview them just as they do the same with you.

Great to hear the family history, it'll make the journey that much more meaningful.

I'm always happy to hear when a man takes that first step towards Masonry. Congrat's again, and please keep us posted.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
My friend Mott-
Your grandfather found something in Masonry he treasured, as most of us on this forum have, and I hope you do, too. I have enjoyed lodge most of the 35 years I have been a Mason, only those years I was not active that I exclude! I have met and fellow-shipped with men I probably would never have met, and in the lectures and rituals learned lessons that have made me a better man. Many times I go to lodge and discover something in the rituals I did not see before.
Please keep us up to date on your journey; ask us anything you will, if it is something that cannot be answered to you before you are obligated, you will be informed of that.

Good Luck in the first steps of your journey!

MOTT

I thought that's what I had done with this thread, but perhaps I can introduce myself a little more. I am a 45 year old, married father of an almost 3 year old. I work in biotech, and live outside Boston. Both my father and paternal grandfather (for whom my son was named) are/were rabbis. My father advised me against it, as did his father (and he didn't listen). My maternal grandfather was a Mason, but stopped being active after my grandmother died in the mid-sixties, but continued to pay his dues until the mid 80s, when he became sick and then died. Unfortunately, his lodge was never told he died, so he is listed as suspended for non-payment of dues at the Grand Lodge.

Anyway, I am excited about starting on this path.

MOTT

I had my pre-application interview with 3 members of the lodge, including the secretary and the upcoming WM (to be installed in September). A very informal and enjoye conversation that lasted about an hour. It was a very nice time, and I learned a Lucile more about the lodge.

What I found funny was that they used a lot of Masonic terminology (referring to sitting in the East, guarding the West Gate, floor work, etc. ) and assumed I knew what they were talking about. Thanks to this forum and others, I did.

I am looking forward to hearing from the IC in the fall.

MOTT

The journey continues. Today was the annual picnic of the lodge I am petitioning. Up to this point, I had only met four members of the lodge, the gentleman I first met with, and then the three men who came to my Pre-application meeting. This was a chance meet some more members od the lodge in an informal atmosphere. I went with my wife and 3 year old son, and we had a pleasant time. I had the opportunity to speak with a nu ber of the guys there, my son gott to jump in a bouncy house, play with trucks in the sandbox, and generally climb around, and my wife got to see that this was a group of nice normal people. She still will not be interested in being involved at all (she does her own thing), but at least she won’t dread a Ladies Night or a Christmas/holiday party.

It was definitely a worthwhile late morning/early afternoon. A month from now, my petition will be read at the first stated meeting of the season, to be followed by a visit with the IC. Iam looking forward to it.

My apologies to those who already read this on another forum. You shouldn't have to read my ramblings twice.

Last edited:

MOTT

My petition was read out a little over a week ago, and I meet with the IC a week from tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. This has been an exercise in patience, but I think it is good. There is much to be said for a careful and deliberate process.

MOTT

Met with the IC a few weeks ago and references have been called. The ballot is tonight! It felt like such a long way away when I first became interested (July), and here we are.