Masonic Book believed to be in code

My father-in-law had gotten a box of books and in it was a book called The History of Masonry from the building of the house of the lord and it's progress throughout the civilized world down to present time. It was published in 1871 by JWS Mitchell and was only available to masons through the author in Griffin, Ga. I am trying to find out more about what we have. I have been told that it is in Cipher due to the misspellings and annotations. IE: It says on the title page The Elebenth edition Rebised and reduced to one Volume. It is Dedicated to a Samuel Perkins. It is also hand signed by the author with a picture. Also says that it is a Well Authenticated Account of the Intiation and Passing Of the Hon. Mrs Aldworth the only and distinguished lady freemason. If anyone could tell me about this book or would be interested please send me a message. I have been told that the book is very valuable and rare. So if anyone could help me I would appreciate it.Thank You all.

Thank you for your reply but, that is not the same book. I have found several and even spoken to people at Masonic Libraries and Museums and what I have seems to be very rare. As in one of a kind. The book is unedited and not involved with any publisher or publishing house. Thank you for your reply.

Hmmmm...... odd that a one of a kind fits the exact description written by the exact same author at the exact same time........ now that truly is astonishing.....

I can't figure out how to put up pics but the title page and pages are different in that book. First of all that book is called The History of Freemasonry and mine is The History of Masonry.

Well....you must have a true artifact. I would contact someone from the House of the Temple.... I am sure they would amazed beyond words to hear of such a find. I am sure if there is any knowledge of such a unique piece, someone there will be where you gain the information you desire.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Just scan in pictures and use the "Insert Image" button .

It is likely the same book , as you stated in your OP , it is the Eleventh edition , revised and reduced to one volume . So some small changes such as Freemasonry & Masonry .

Take my jurisdiction's Monitor , they have been revised through the years , it looks like the same ritual , but if you read my newer copy and an older copy I have that is decades older , you will find many differences .

jaya

First, those are not misspellings. That is very common to the time period where a v looks like a b. Second, it is most likely the same book as mentioned but a different version and/or printing. It is not cipher either. Call the House of the Temple in Washington and the should be able to help you. They have one of, if not the largest collections of masonic books.

The History of Freemasonry and The History of Masonry by Michelle the same book. What you have is a copy of the 11th edition. I have pdf versions of a couple different editions using both names and they are the same.

jaya

One note about this book. I have not read it but there is an article in The Journal of The Masonic Society issue 13 titled The Babylonian Temptation & Other Perils of Masonic Research. In the article it talks about authors assumes things as facts without providing supporting evidence. It specifically talks about this book and how Mitchell states as fact that masonry was practiced in Babylon without any proof.

It has come out in many sources that Mitchell's version of masonic history has been proven to be less than accurate. As a true history it is lacking. As a part of historical masonic literature it is valuable.