Masonic Commercial

RoughAshlar

In my jurisdiction recruiting is simply not allowed, and I was under the impression that it was like that everywhere. I was apparently wrong. On youtube I found a TV commercial.

YouTube - Freemasonry - Preparing for Greatness

I fully agree with the reasons for not allowing recruiting and support them. However, I must admit I really like this commercial and wished it aired here.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
There is actually two "commercials" for Freemasonry from them. i had them on this site, but cannot find them, will have to re-add them.

The Southern Scottish Rite also sponsor a Nascar if I remember correctly.

chocoguy

This is the first time that I heard that recruitment is not allowed because every business needs people. How could they run a business if no one is recruiting for them?

RoughAshlar

This is the first time that I heard that recruitment is not allowed because every business needs people. How could they run a business if no one is recruiting for them?

People come forward of their own free will and accord. Usually through a friend or family member. And in our rather moraless society good people look for a place with like minded people. When they do, they find Freemasonry.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Has anyone else notice with delight the recent surge in Shrine Hospital Commercials on the television. I said to my wife, have you noticed how often the commercials have been on. I think it's a great way to support the worthwhile cause.
Side note : The Shriner's Circus is coming to Altoona, PA April 14-20th. Sponsored by Jaffa Shrine

Green-Moo

It's a good commercial, I like it. Is recruitment banned throughout the whole of the US or just in certain States?

RoughAshlar

Our constitution forbids "Improper solicitation" meaning any kind. However, it doesn't give specifics and if there is improper solicitation there must be proper solicitation. Grand Lodge just wont tell us what that is.

Green-Moo

Our constitution forbids "Improper solicitation" meaning any kind. However, it doesn't give specifics and if there is improper solicitation there must be proper solicitation. Grand Lodge just wont tell us what that is.

So it's up to individual lodges to interpret as you wish then?

Improper solitication sounds like whacking people over the heads & dragging them off press gang style (or something that 'ladies of the night' do on street corners).

An ad like the one we've just seen is very nicely done & I can't see how anyone could object to it.

cemab4y

Please keep in mind, that there are 51 Grand Lodges in the USA (one for each state, and District of Columbia). Each State Grand Lodge is "autonomous", and supervises Masonry in its state. There is no "Grand Lodge of the United States". Some Grand Lodges, permit individuals to invite other men to participate in Masonry. Some Grand Lodges forbid all recruitment in any form. These Grand Lodges feel that a Man should approach Masonry of his own free will and accord. Kentucky even forbids the "2B1 ASK 1" bumber stickers.

Individual lodges are subordinate to the Grand Lodge which holds their charter. If a Grand Lodge has forbidden recruiting statewide, then individual lodges must follow this directive.

"Masonry does not seek men, Men seek Masonry"

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
" Kentucky even forbids the "2B1 ASK 1" bumber stickers."

This is the first time I've ever heard of that . MY lodge and almost all others in my district (in KY) sell those bumper stickers and lapel pins in our cases . And you can find them on a lot of cars in the lodge parking lot's of my district . As a matter of fact , I bought my 2B1 ASK1 lapel pin while I was at the GL of KY's annual communication a few years ago .

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Can't solicit

Here in NC (AF&AM) we have a nice pamphlet to give to prospects entitled, "Have you ever considered becoming a Freemason?"
I like that question, it just falls short of asking someone to join.

S&F

Terry S

I like that commercial. I wouldnt call it a full on "recruitment"... they just kinda put it out there that if you feel youre a good man the Masons might be a good fit for you. Seemed like it was worded very thoughtfully and carefully so as not to attempt to persuade.

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
In my jurisdiction recruiting is simply not allowed, and I was under the impression that it was like that everywhere. I was apparently wrong. On youtube I found a TV commercial.

YouTube - Freemasonry - Preparing for Greatness

I fully agree with the reasons for not allowing recruiting and support them. However, I must admit I really like this commercial and wished it aired here.
This commercial was produced in 2007 for the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts. If you go to the website "askafreemason.org" you'll see, at the bottom "AskaFreemason.org was created as a national landing site by the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts A.F. & A.M."

If you go to Prepare for Greatness -- 60 Sec Radio you'll even hear a 1 minute radio commercial by Brother Franklin.

I personally think that there is nothing wrong with these commercials. They are not attempting to, in my opinion, gather young men in to Freemasonry wholesale. As long brethren don't just sign a petition for just anyone who comes through the door in an attempt to increase membership, as long as the investigation committee does it's job, than the commercials will not, in my opinion, cause any harm. As long as the system works correctly, as it has for hundreds of years.

While I am opining on advertising... each of us advertises Freemasonry every day. Some of us wear Masonic jewelery or clothing, others have S&C license plates, others have 2B1ASK1 bumper stickers or car badges on our vehicles. By the way we act and carry ourselves, we portray to the world an image of Freemasonry. Just like there is nothing stopping John Doe from looking at Ben Franklin and saying "I like this man of character who has done great things in this world," and going to askafreemason.org, reading some FAQs and getting lodge contact information, there is nothing stopping Joe Blow from looking at you and thinking the same thing. We are all walking, talking advertisements for the Craft.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
As posted by others, the answer to this question will vary, jurisdiction by jurisdiction. Years ago, when I was active in Alaskan Freemasonry, the Grand Master allowed that Masons could ask a prospective candidate ONCE and then do a single 'follow-up' with the prospect. Here in Wisconsin, we can do the "2B1Ask1" thing, but no more. And, as posted, in other jurisdictions you cannot even do that.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I personally think that there is nothing wrong with these commercials. They are not attempting to, in my opinion, gather young men in to Freemasonry wholesale. As long brethren don't just sign a petition for just anyone who comes through the door in an attempt to increase membership, as long as the investigation committee does it's job, than the commercials will not, in my opinion, cause any harm. As long as the system works correctly, as it has for hundreds of years.
Unfortunately (or fortunately - depending on how you look at it) there are always at least two people in a Lodge who will sign a petition whether they have ever met a candidate or not. Indeed, I have been known to sign a petition or two that was merely shoved under my nose by another member of the Lodge (whether I had ever seen the candidate or not). I think we all believe that the investigation committees will weed out the clunkers. Now, to my relief, I have only seen a petition or two that did not make it to a vote, and SOME of our best members are those who were rubber stamped by Masons who did not know them (much less 'recommend' them). Your mileage may vary.