Masonic funeral service

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
The other day we held a graveside Masonic funeral service for a Brother in my lodge who has passed on . Here we are in the blazing sun , 96 degrees all in black suits .

As uncomfortable as I was , with the sweat running down into my eyes , my suit coat soaked through with sweat , I was still moved by the words of the PM who performed the service . I honestly do not know of a more moving "lecture" . I have had non-Masons walk up to us and tell us how beautiful the service was at previous funerals , but I wonder how many truly listen to the words spoken ? I know my wife did at her step-father's funeral because she told me then and there that she now knew why I loved being a Freemason . It is one of the greatest honors I have ever participated in .

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
I have to agree. I was part of the Last Rites for a Brother a year ago. It was my first time doing it. I have never met this Brother but when it came down to my part I was audible but lowly. Fighting back emotions that I feel the words envoke.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I wish it has been a year since my last Masonic funeral service . I have been to far to many . But they were not all from my lodge . This brother was only the second Brother we lost due to death in the last 2 1/2 years . When I hear there is a Masonic service to be performed in my area , no matter the lodge or if I knew the brother who passed on or not , I try my best to attend to pay my respects .

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Attending a Masonic Funeral was a requirement for the Massachusetts "Rookie Award". I went to one was profoundly moved. When I returned home, I told my wife all about it. She suddenly broke down in tears. When she could talk again, she told me her mother had refused to allow a Masonic Service for her father as women are excluded from Masonry.

I asked my wife to be sure to have one for me when my time comes and she agreed.

Attending a Masonic Funeral was a requirement for the Massachusetts "Rookie Award". I went to one was profoundly moved. When I returned home, I told my wife all about it. She suddenly broke down in tears. When she could talk again, she told me her mother had refused to allow a Masonic Service for her father as women are excluded from Masonry.

I asked my wife to be sure to have one for me when my time comes and she agreed.
In Mass...is a Masonic Funeral a public ceremony??...All of the Masonic Funerals I have been to were public

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
In Mass...is a Masonic Funeral a public ceremony??...All of the Masonic Funerals I have been to were public

Yes, The Service I went to went like this (since this was done in full view of the family, I am not revealing any secrets here):

A room in the funeral home was cleared out for us and a box of white aprons along with a basket of sprigs of acacia was made available.

The Masons gathered in the room and "opened" a lodge in a very short form. we were instructed to each place a sprig of acacia in our breast pockets.

We organized and walked single file into the room near the coffin. The WM and Chaplin performed the bulk service.

After the main service was concluded, each man placed his sprig of acacia on the departed brother's apron with three distinct motions. We passed by the widow and her children and each offered our condolences.

There was not a dry eye in the place.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
In North Carolina (AF&AM), we may open a Lodge of Sorrow at the first Stated Communication of the year, and close it at the last. This allows the Lodge to skip opening and closing a Lodge and just meet at the place of the service.
If a Lodge does not open the Lodge of Sorrow, they would be obligated to meet at the Lodge, and open and close. This would, of course, exclude non-Masons.
All of the Funeral Service itself, though is public. I have heard it emphasized repeatedly that this is the ONE Masonic ritual we commonly perform in public (the cornerstone laying is sadly more rare), therefore it should be delivered proficiently and with dignity.
I have had the privilege of delivering one Memorial Service (it was not at graveside), for the WBro who immediately followed me in the East. I looked upon it as the last act of friendship I could perform for him.

S&F

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I have had the honor of performing the funeral oration for several brothers, I must agree it is a very moving service if performed well. I have told many of the family members of the brothers that it is the very least we can do for a brother. I have done a few inside a church with a sound system but I really thought I did better when the service was at graveside -- it seemed (to me) like it made more sense to do it outside with the G.A.O.T.U. and his creation all around.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
On March 23, 2016 my Dad passed away. On March 28 a good friend and Brother performed the Masonic funeral oration for him. Although I have performed this oration many times, this one is the one that I will attempt to raise the level of any future orations I do to. About 1/3 of the 200 or so in attendance were Brothers. I have never been more proud to be a Mason than on that day.