Masonry in Movies

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Do you ever notice any Masonic symbols in movies? Not talking about movies such as National Treasure, but little "hidden" things?

jscott444

The movie Magnolia has Masonic symbolism throughout the film. The opening scene is a murder by three bandits which is symbolic of the murder of Hiram Abiff. There is a scene later where one of the characters puts his hand on another characters shoulder and he is wearing a Masonic ring and says "They met on the level and parted on the square". Later there is a game show that has different symbols on the set and there is a square and compass. I suggest Masons watch it to pick up on more symbols that I picked up. Very good movie as well.

accer

I've seen bits and pieces in many movies, as though there is a hidden back story. It's also true that those symbols give more "mystery" to their stories for the unschooled.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Several movies have been made with subtle, and not so subtle masonic hints. Just a couple that I have seen are. "League of extrordinary Gentleman" Even though there is no reference to Masonry, the location of their meeting takes place behind a set of double doors with a very large square and compass on the doors. Another is "from hell" revolving around "jack the ripper" and makes farfetched claims about masonry and "jack". There are other movies in which you will see an actor wearing a masonic ring, however no mention is made to it. National Treasure is a good entertainment movie for the masses, and have promoted our fraternity in a good light. It made people think possibly a different way about masons. Even if it was cryptic, the masses (other than conspiricy theorists) enjoyed the thought that there were men (masons) who helped drive this country, and protect the values of it as well (referencing the declaration of independence scene, when the lines are read, and the signature of John Hancock is shown).

PM#232