Masons, other service groups fight membership declines

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Mark Bennett, historian at a Freemasons lodge in Asheville, N.C., wants to make something clear.

Despite the impression given by books such as author Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code and The Lost Symbol, and movies like National Treasure, the Masons are not a clandestine group.

"We're not a secret society," Bennett says. "We're a society with a few secrets."

In an effort to boost flagging membership across the USA, an increasing number of Masonic lodges, like other fraternal service groups, are abandoning secretive ways and inviting the public in to see what the organization is really all about.

There are fewer Masons today — by nearly a million — than there were in 1941 as the country came out of the Great Depression, says Richard Fletcher, executive secretary of the Masonic Service Association of North America. There are an estimated 3 million members worldwide and 1.5 million in the USA, he says, compared with more than 4 million members in the USA in 1959

more Masons, other service groups fight membership declines - USATODAY.com

Zack

If we had never had that abnormal growth in 40-50's we wouldn't be so consumed with
falling membership. That is also the time FM started losing its focus and became lumped in with and competing with "other service groups".

I, for one, don't despair over the loss of membership. FM will survive and be stronger for it.

I believe we have enough members, too many lodges, and not enough Masons.
IMO.. YMMV.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
If we had never had that abnormal growth in 40-50's we wouldn't be so consumed with
falling membership. That is also the time FM started losing its focus and became lumped in with and competing with "other service groups".

I, for one, don't despair over the loss of membership. FM will survive and be stronger for it.

I believe we have enough members, too many lodges, and not enough Masons.
IMO.. YMMV.
I could not agree more ! I have said it before and I will say it again , Our numbers are not falling , we are now getting back down to our fighting weight . We are getting back to where we should be .

CoachN

Builder Builder
Here's what stood out for me:

The Internet and the rise of online social networks may have something to do with a rise in membership, Fletcher says.

"Freemasonry is a social network," he says. "It always has been."

Guys, I just don't know. I'd like to agree with you, and your points are valid. But to me, and I think to many of us, there is more to Masonry than history, education, and ritual. There are things to be done in the community, people to help, diseases to cure, and this good that we do was the guiding factor that brought me into this fraternity. Families of children at the Shrine hospitals, the very sick who depend on the Cancer centers, the retired in the Masonic homes, they are all counting on us. We need boots on the ground (pardon the expression, I'm not military, but think it's a great phrase) to make sure these folks aren't disappointed. Many of the guys that do this are getting burnt out. Don't get me wrong, we Masons need to be Masons, (Many of my lodge brethren are also Elks, Eagles, etc, but they know the difference) but I do believe we must find a way to at least slow the bleed. I hope you understand my point of view as well.
Fraternally,
Mike

Zack

QUOTE There are things to be done in the community, people to help, diseases to cure....QUOTE

No disagreement here but.....these should be the results of... not the purpose of Freemasonry. IMO.

CoachN

Builder Builder
If Masonry focused all its energy and resources strictly on making men better, instead of using any of its resources to focus on anything outside the Lodge, the results would benefit all of society.

I truly hope you fellows are right, and I will contribute to the best of my ability and will do my best to remain optimistic about the future of this great fraternity.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
If Masonry focused all its energy and resources strictly on making men better, instead of using any of its resources to focus on anything outside the Lodge, the results would benefit all of society.
The way I look at it is...... the domino effect . By Masonry focusing on making Masons into better men instead of focusing on raising monies for different charities , these men/Masons who have bettered themselves carry this out into the world and those profanes who come in contact with Masons may wish to emulate said Masons and better themselves and the world around them and so on and so forth .

Am I making any sense ?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Now do not take it that I am saying that Lodges SHOULD NOT be doing things for their communities , because I am not , but it should not be the entire focus of the lodge .

Zack

Exactly! This is what I was trying to say when I said all these things should be the result of FM not the purpose.

Coach always says my thoughts better than I can. Thanks Bro. John

CoachN

Builder Builder
Exactly! This is what I was trying to say when I said all these things should be the result of FM not the purpose.

You're welcome Brother Zack.

I thank you in return. You always give me such rich materials to work with my Brother. ;)

New World Man

Requesting full membership

My name is Darrell Banks, and I would very much like to get a referral for membership. I have remained silent about many issues facing the world today, however I do believe in a set of core values that will enhance the Human race.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia

This is why I need to keep my mouth shut and allow Coach and others like him do all the talking . They can say it far better than I .

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Referral for membership?

My name is Darrell Banks, and I would very much like to get a referral for membership. I have remained silent about many issues facing the world today, however I do believe in a set of core values that will enhance the Human race.
Friend Darrell-
The best way to get a 'referral' for membership is to find a lodge in your local area and learn who some of the Masons are there. It would be pretty likely, if you have grown up in the area, or at least lived there for some time, you already know someone who is a Mason.
In my jurisdiction (NC-AF&AM), two NC Masons who know you well must sign your petition, and one must be a member of the lodge you are petitioning.
No one may invite you to join. Our phrase is that you must join, "of your own free will and accord."

It would be a good idea on this website to introduce yourself in the 'Initiation' section, found by clicking on the "Forums" tab above and then on the "Initiation" tab. You may then click on "new thread," to introduce yourself.

good luck!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Friend , there is not much we can do for you on the internet . You need to either find a Mason(s) or a lodge near you , set down and talk with them and ask for a petition .

You may e-mail the Grand Lodge of your state and let them know of your interest in the Fraternity and they may aid you in finding a Masonic Lodge near your home .