Meditation

jaya

In what aspects? Also, how about an introduction. Are you a mason or someone with questions? It would help to know a little about you and what you are asking to best answer you. Asking the question like you did does not give any clue to what you are seeking.

H

Hank

Where I'm from it's called "taking a nap"
I'd say you're well capable of meditation.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
All I could tell you is after reading books, listening to tapes and such, I cannot get my mind to settle. Best I can hope for is a second or two, but to quite the mind completely just does not happen for me. Then again I am often accused of ADHD, or as a friend puts it, I'm like a 4 year old when bored.

puffyp

There are several techniques and you will have to find one that works for you. The technique I describe below seems to help most people calm the mind and find their center.
Start by taking 15 - 30 minutes each day to just close your eyes and control the body. Choose a place that you can sit comfortably and undisturbed. After you have mastered this for a week, you can start on trying to calm and center the mind.
Using breath seems to help most people. First focus your thought on the feelings of the air flowing in and out of your nostrils. After you have been able to do that for several minutes add the feeling of the chest and abdominal movement. At first your thoughts will bounce back and forth between your nose and your chest/abdomen; but with practice, you will be able to think of both sensations at the same time and that is the first big step in calming and centering your mind.

Perhaps MEDITATIONS ON MASONIC SYMBOLISM by John R. Heisner will also help you on your path. I have enjoyed it.

Enjoy your journey, Patrick

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
There are several techniques and you will have to find one that works for you. The technique I describe below seems to help most people calm the mind and find their center.
Start by taking 15 - 30 minutes each day to just close your eyes and control the body. Choose a place that you can sit comfortably and undisturbed. After you have mastered this for a week, you can start on trying to calm and center the mind.
Using breath seems to help most people. First focus your thought on the feelings of the air flowing in and out of your nostrils. After you have been able to do that for several minutes add the feeling of the chest and abdominal movement. At first your thoughts will bounce back and forth between your nose and your chest/abdomen; but with practice, you will be able to think of both sensations at the same time and that is the first big step in calming and centering your mind.

Perhaps MEDITATIONS ON MASONIC SYMBOLISM by John R. Heisner will also help you on your path. I have enjoyed it.

Enjoy your journey, Patrick
Brother puffyp-
Why don't you open a thread in "Initiation" and introduce yourself, tell us a little bit about you.

S&F

puffyp

Thank you for the invitation Worshipful.

There are many guided audio meditations that you can purchase that can be a great companion when you are having difficult time calming your mind and work well for beginners. Another popular book to look at is The Relaxation Response by Dr. Herbert Benson.