Mezuzah cases

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
Google Judaica or check out eBay. There are several good companies out there.

Winter

I've been here before
The case is easy. There are tons of places to get one in all shapes and sizes. It's the klaf that goes into it that you want to make sure you get from a reputable supplier and even then, still have it examined by a Rabbi.

When I get home from work I will post some links for you.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Thanks for the help.
I have a very nice man, who practices Judaism, I would like to get a gift for. He has given us some wonderful things.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
And you would suggest that the klaf offered by these people be checked before use by a rabbi as well? Does a rabbi typically charge for this service and/or accept a donation for doing this? If it's a donation, how much is appropriate? I once read that the suggestion was that every door in the house (with the exception of the bathroom) have a mezzuzah ... that can get very pricey fast!!!

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
And while we're on the subject, would a mezuzah be an appropriate gift to be made by a Gentile to a Jew??? My limited experience says that people of the Hebrew persuasion can be rather picky about that sort of thing and I'm sure that it isn't Duncan's intention to offend.

Winter

I've been here before
Yes, even if the klaf is listed as being "kosher" it is still a good idea to have it inspected. And every couple of years it should be removed from the doorpost and taken to a Rabbi to inspect it. I've never paid for this. This is also done with teffilin as well.

Yes, every door in a home except the bathroom (and closets) has one and yes, it gets very expensive!

The mezuzah case is absolutely an appropriate gift from a gentile. The actual scroll inside is another matter though and I would recommend discussing the issue with the person you intend to purchase it for.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Thanks for the input and advise.

Kinda a squirrel moment: When I was finishing the second floor of my last house in Illinois, I wrote Scripture verses on all the door frames before I installed the doors/jambs.

2SONDAD

Another option might be to contact a local Chabad House. The rabbi there may even give you one, or only charge a small fee for it, as many Chabad rabbis supply them to people that ask for one. It's a guarantee that if you get one from them it will be kosher. Chabad rabbis are Orthodox.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Yes, even if the klaf is listed as being "kosher" it is still a good idea to have it inspected. And every couple of years it should be removed from the doorpost and taken to a Rabbi to inspect it. I've never paid for this. This is also done with teffilin as well.

Yes, every door in a home except the bathroom (and closets) has one and yes, it gets very expensive!

The mezuzah case is absolutely an appropriate gift from a gentile. The actual scroll inside is another matter though and I would recommend discussing the issue with the person you intend to purchase it for.
Ah. These are good things to know! Thank you. So, would you say (to be on the safe side) that it would be most appropriate to gift the case, but allow the recipient to choose his or her own scroll?

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
When I was finishing the second floor of my last house in Illinois, I wrote Scripture verses on all the door frames before I installed the doors/jambs.
Oh, my. When you let the house go, I certainly hope that you let the new owners know that you did that. That counts as a 'dedication' and Jewish or Moslem folk (among others) would most certainly want to know it.

Winter

I've been here before
2SONDAD, there is a reason the Lubivitchers (Chabadnicks) give stuff away. My advice would be to avoid them. They're nice and all, but they are the only Jews who actually aggressively recruit and convert, especially arounf large college campuses.

Duncan, I gotta agree, that could be unsettling for some folk if they didn't know their doorposts were marked that way. lol2

2SONDAD

Winter, I guess I have been lucky. My experience with the few Lubivitchers I have met has always been positive. (I am friendly with one.) That being said, I know the reputation they have. I just wanted to give another option. I will defer to you however.

Winter

I've been here before
Don't get me wrong, they are wonderful folk. I'm friends with several. But I can't say I agree with their methods I have seen first hand on campuses. Although they do promote a very strong Jewish identity for college kids who were raised in secular families. So there's that.