Motivation

goomba

I am extremely excited about my Masonic future right now. Here is my question for you men who have been there and kept motivated to stay active in the Lodge for decades how did you do it? How did you keep active and motivated with life happening? How did you prevent burn out? I know this is a big question and I thank you for your responses.

jaya

While not someone that has been in freemasonry for all that long, I can understand where you are coming from. You need to remember that your family, work, church, and other priorities come first. You do not have to be at the lodge every time a door opens. One way to stay active is to become an officer or serve on a committee. One thing that has helped with my interest is that right after I was raised I started in the line as well as doing things with a few brothers outside of lodge. I have developed some great friendships and that does carry outside of the lodge. Freemasonry is not just what happens in the lodge. As younger members (as in years being a member and not necessarily age) we can show interest in our older members. They have a lot to teach us and have a lot of knowledge to pass on.

CoachN

Builder Builder
... how did you do it?
Only in a little over a decade so far, so ask me again in 10 years.
...How did you keep active and motivated with life happening?
Keep within my cable tow and always engage in those activities that both interest me and nurture me.
...How did you prevent burn out?
Burnout occurs when resources are depleted. I make every effort to never do anything that depletes me or doesn't at least sustain/maintain me. Once again, I also make sure there is something nurturing about what I'm involved in. If it doesn't nurture me, why would I want to do it?

Winter

I've been here before
Speaking as someone who has kept the fire burning for about 15 years now, I can tell you only what works for me.

If Masonry comes after every other obligation then it will be nothing but a club you belong to and the least imposition then becomes a hardship and you will lose your zeal for the Craft.

I am not saying that Masonry should come before G-d or family. But a proper division of time means that I can devote the time to the Craft commensurate with its importance in my life. And for me, that is a close second to the devotion I owe to the GAOTU.

Masonry shouldn't conflict with the duty you owe to G-d, your country, or your family. But that does not mean it has to take a backseat to those obligations.