Movies that are your guilty pleasure

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
With me , there are two

Fried Green Tomatoes & Driving Miss Daisy .

I absolutely love these movies . My Mother was going through our DVD collection when she came across Fried Green Tomatoes and asked me if she thought the wife would mind that she borrowed it . I said " Hers ? That's mine !"

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Any movie that has a major actor playing against his typecast.
Henry Fonda in "Once Upon a Time, in the West" [my fav of favs]
Bruce Dern in "Silent Running"
Michael Keaton in "Batman"
Tom Hanks in "Castaway"

That's when they show they can act.

S&F

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Full metal jacket, star wars, the lord of the rings trilogy, four rooms, and pulp fiction... There are many more on my list!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Full Metal Jacket is awesome , well the first half of the boot camp scenes .

But I think we are not getting at what I was asking ... Let's change the question , what movies do you love that you would not want to broadcast to your fishin' and huntin' buddies ?

Not that there is anything wrong (in my eyes) with "Fried Green Tomatoes" and "Driving Miss Daisy" , but My buddies and I were sitting around drinking a few beers when the conversation turned to movies and I made the statement that these two were ranked up there as my favorites and they all did that slow head turn and just stared at me lol . I guess I was supposed to have said the "deer hunter" and "insert any John Wayne movie here" . Of which , I would rather sit and watch paint dry than have to sit through John Wayne's attempts at acting , as he is the same exact character in all his movies .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Full Metal Jacket is awesome , well the first half of the boot camp scenes .

But I think we are not getting at what I was asking ... Let's change the question , what movies do love that you would not want to broadcast to your fishin' and huntin' buddies ?

Not that there is anything wrong (in my eyes) with "Fried Green Tomatoes" and "Driving Miss Daisy" , but My buddies and I were sitting around drinking a few beers when the conversation turned to movies and I made the statement that these two were ranked up there as my favorites and they all did that slow head turn and just stared at me lol . I guess I was supposed to have said the "deer hunter" and "insert any John Wayne movie here" . Of which , I would rather sit and watch paint dry than have to sit through John Wayne's attempts at acting , as he is the same exact character in all his movies .

Blasphemy!!! The Duke is the Duke portraying the Duke! LOL...

Anyhoo... back on topic. Call me racist (which I am not)... I'm a huge fan of the Song of the South, and the Brer Rabbit stories. The film is now banned in the U.S., but available everywhere else. I also like Who framed Roger Rabbit. I'm an old school animation fan, so quit snickering.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
LOL !!! I knew that (Blasphemy) was coming .

I was once asked which of his roles was my favorite roles he played and I said "What do you mean roles , I thought he was the same swaggering character in all his movies Pilgram !" so I guess you are correct , it is the Duke portraying the Duke . LOL

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
[snip] ...John Wayne's attempts at acting , as he is the same exact character in all his movies .
[snip]
That's why I noticed Hank Fonda in OUaTitW. It was amazing to see him play Frank, the killer...so believably!
Marion Mitchell Morrison was the same character in every film, even as the Japanese shogun! Not that I don't enjoy his movies; The Hellfighters is a favorite.

When Dick Cavett interviewed Fonda in 1969, he asked, "Hank, aren't you worried that you've alienated your fans?"
Fonda replied, "Golly! Do you think I was that good?"
Now, that was an actor interested in his craft.

S&F

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
John Wayne did win an Oscar for True Grit. He was also a Brother and because of that fact, I forgive the fact that he attended USC!

My absolute favorite movie has to be Frequency. Not well known, but the idea that the character could talk with his dad via ham radio while he was in the year 2000 and his dad was in 1969 resonated with me. The movie came out shortly after I lost my father so......

I will also give a nod to the Avengers for guilty pleasure. Always been a fan of RDJ.

Rudedog6

My favorite movie of all time is a Gregory Peck flick; Horatio Hornblower. Very cool movie with great effects from the old days of film.

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
The Notebook. Okay, not The Notebook.

Hold on, there's a knock at the door.

Wow! That was quick. I hadn't even posted it and there was someone here asking me to relinquish a certain piece of anatomy. I guess he must have had an order from the FISA court.

In honesty, I like Operation Petticoat (an old WWII comedy), and Green Card.

Bill_F

I'll never admit it in public, and this post will self-destruct after its read, but Steel Magnolia's and Fried green tomato's are on my list.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I'll never admit it in public, and this post will self-destruct after its read, but Steel Magnolia's and Fried green tomato's are on my list.
Fried Green Tomatoes is a good flick.
633 Squadron, The Riddick Chronicles, anything with Drew Barrymore.