Music & meetings

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Only in the OES . I have been in lodges that did play music , but I am so used to the lodges in my area , that it seemed odd to me at first .

Firemason

A piano player who is a member of St. Tammany #5 comes to most of our stateds and plays the piano for us. Usually short bits, like Great Balls of Fire, etc. to fill in the gaps when people are walking around.

G

Gary

We have a piano player who plays during certain Lodge functions. Never heard him do Great Balls of Fire though...That sounds cool!

c.m.ellis

I just affiliated with a Lodge that has a very talented musician after going through my degrees in another Lodge that was without. I still find the music quite strange (especially during degrees). I can't help imaging the differences when you're hoodwinked and there's music going on. I find it incredibly distracting... It's almost like it pulls the attention away from the somber atmosphere that I expect during a degree.

And on the second section of the third degree, our musician has all these soundboard noises that he plays (e.g., jungle noises, cows mooing, and church bells - not tolls, but actual songs). I do like the concept of the sound effects during the second section, but it should be mild stuff that doesn't distract from the action of the degree - maybe some wind noise with footsteps during the walkabouts and water lapping at the port with some ambient port noise???

I realize most people are probably attached to their Lodge music. As a matter of fact, I've heard of Lodge choirs that performed during degrees and received stipends for doing so. But it just seems like it distracts me from what I'm there to do - serious reflection and the conferral of a very somber and introspective ritual... Thoughts?

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Well, here's another county heard from: as a one-time semi-professional stage actor/director, I can certainly see the use of music in the Lodge. Especially to enrich the experience for candidates. BUT (and that's a large but, Brothers) the music needs to be appropriate AND it needs to be low enough that the candidate can hear over it.

I've been to more than one Grand Lodge session where the organist plays "Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, It's Off To Work I Go," or "Road to Mandalay" when the Deacons are walking around for whatever reason. I've even seen this happen in a Lodge DURING degree work. Of course, these tunes are fun and the members on the sidelines chuckle (if they're old enough to remember the tunes, anyway), but is the music APPROPRIATE? Granted, anything that can break up the monotony during Grand Lodge is a help, but during degree work? Remember, the candidate is just outside and you can bet he hears it, as the volume on the organ is normally turned up to nosebleed levels.

Using music to enrich the experience of the candidate is a wonderful thing IF the music is a) well-timed, b) in the background and c) appropriate to the mood that we want to set.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
One day I pulled up to lodge in my truck with AC/DC blaring , some of the old timers were outside having a smoke , a few shook their heads and I over heard one say "Kids today" . I am in my 40s' !!!!

Sorry couldn't help myself in relating this story .

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
One day I pulled up to lodge in my truck with AC/DC blaring , some of the old timers were outside having a smoke , a few shook their heads and I over heard one say "Kids today" . I am in my 40s' !!!!

Sorry couldn't help myself in relating this story .
Hmm ... AC/DC ... now THAT might make for some interesting ritual work! ;)

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
It sure would . And the song was Who MADE Who , so I think it was very fitting . We were there to put on an EA degree , in other words to MAKE a young man a Mason .

Anyone ever hear the second section of the FC set to music? Seems that would be appropriate, timely, enriching. I've heard old timers say that pianists used to play softly at the right times, other say there was a tape timed to the appropriate parts.

Since I give this lecture in our lodge, I'd really like to find a way to make this happen once or twice to mix things up a bit. Ideas?

masonicleader

I have been my lodge musician for about 10 years. I play music during all the degrees and certainly agree that it should be timed correctly and appropriate. I normally do not play while someone is speaking. I have however played very softly during certain prayers. I practice with the officers doing the floor work and we work together so that music stops just prior to them delivering a line. I use all types of music from classical to popular and believe that music when appropriately used adds tremendously to the degree portrayal.

Mike Clevenger, PM
New England Lodge #4
Worthington, Ohio

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
In Nebraska, just before the lodge went extinct in 1998, there was a lodge named St. John the Baptist Lodge of Research, that put together music on a cassette that was sent out to every lodge Secretary in the state. This 4 tape collection has music for each degree and an incidental music tape. I had been raised a few years earlier than that and I re-discovered the tapes a few years ago and we have used them ever since. It is nicer than listening to so many tone-deaf men.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have been my lodge musician for about 10 years. I play music during all the degrees and certainly agree that it should be timed correctly and appropriate. I normally do not play while someone is speaking. I have however played very softly during certain prayers. I practice with the officers doing the floor work and we work together so that music stops just prior to them delivering a line. I use all types of music from classical to popular and believe that music when appropriately used adds tremendously to the degree portrayal.

Mike Clevenger, PM
New England Lodge #4
Worthington, Ohio
I like it that you do not play while the ritualist is speaking . I would find it distracting while delivering a lecture . The organist plays music during Initiatory work into the Eastern Star and when I am delivering the long form AP address to the candidates I have asked the organist to refrian from playing . The ladies didn't like that , so I told them they could find someone else to do that lecture then , and they relented .