My Dad was a Mason - how can I be one?

patrickchadd

Hello,

My dad (who passed away in 2001 at 73) was a Mason. How do I go about becoming a Mason or is it impossible?

Thank you!

P

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
2B1 ,ASK1 .

If you meet all the requirements in the jurisdiction (state) you live in and you know a Freemason , ask him for a petition . If you do not know a Freemason , then either call or stop by a lodge near you and talk to them . If you do not know of a Lodge , then do a web search for the Grand Lodge of (put your state here) and there you will find contact information (or should) .

I would suggest that if you know any of the men fromyour Fathers Lodge, you ask one of them. I am sure that if they know you, they would be more than happy to get you started.

patrickchadd

Thank You

Thank you for the information.

I did contact my local area lodge - Welcome / New Jersey Grand Lodge and I did get a reply from an admin asking me for my town and location but then nothing further.

My father was in the overseas Japanese Grand Lodge in his 32 years overseas so I am sure any of his contemporaries are not around - they would be in their mid 80's - and I have no idea how to reach them.

Thank you so much for the information I will keep working on becoming a member..

P

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Patrick - just go down to your local lodge building. There's probably someone hanging around cleaning floors, or making repairs during the day. If not, look through the door and see if there's anything that says when Lodge meets. Then just show up. Tell them you want a petition and you're on your way.

MarkBrown

Master Mason
With a little patience, good things will come. When I inquired through my states Grand Lodge (Alabama) it took roughly a month before they passed it to my local blue lodge. The lodge then contacted me to set up a visit with an investigation committee. Lodges generally meet only a few times a month which is typically when business is conducted such as reviewing petitions. As I said, give it a little time, it will be worth it I promise. :D

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Google Masonic Lodge and your town, Google will return a list. Pick out one that feels right and give them a call and tell them you asked one to be one.

VirKnight

Sir Knight & 32 GL of VA
I have been able to call many grand lodges and find the master of a local lodge is always helpful at getting someone a petition. I was home sick for about 6 months with TB, and had tons of time on my hands, so I took each referral and talked to folks until I found an answer, but it is a time consuming task. Fireman99 and the other brothers were on the money. A local lodge is an abosoute requirement. Look on the Grand Lodge web site and get the number of the master and give him a call. If all else fails, please come back here and ask for help. We have all been through it and all would be willing to help.

A funny story about my journey. I had promised my dad that I would join his lodge, but I was in the Navy and gone almost all of the time. When I was about 25 he passed away, and I did not get the chance to have him sponsor me, but his best friend at the furneral asked me if I had managed to get through the process, and I said no but I was interested. He shook his head and walked away. I was in town for a few months and living in the same state and when I saw him again, I asked say would you care to be my sponsor and he said we should talk about it really soon. I felt like I was being to no by a guy I had known my whole life and one who had been the leader of our DeMolay Chapter. To make a long story short, I had to come home for a week when my younger brother got married and sure enough I ran into Don as soon as I got into town, and off hand asked him if he had ever gotten me a petition. He broke out in a broad smile and said, in our lodge it is necessary to ask three times. He had already filled in much of the information and all I needed to do was the assertations and sign. He had signed it and said he would walk it over to the sherrif to get the other signature. He also suggested that I could meet with the committee before I left town, since it was a 40 mile drive to get home. He was my mentor and sponsor. He gave me a memory of my dad I will never forget. I was raised in his lodge although I ended up affiliating with a different lodge after.

I never sat in lodge with my dad, but I did sit with his lifelong brothers and it almost made me feel like I had. Whenever my travels takes me home, I stop in and say hi to the brothers and especially to Don, my dad's friend and my brother.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
VirKnight, that is a great story. I was really lucky to have been raised by my dad in lodge. Dad was installing Master at my installation as Master of the Lodge. I was in the East and conferred my son's MM degree (both sections) and my dad - his granddad was setting in the West as GSW. These are going to be my fondest memories as a Master Mason.

Brother Liberty

Service Officer
Vir Night, I can relate. My grandfather had been a mason. We were close but had never talked about masonry. While I will not go into the details of his death, I will say it was a long, difficult and preventable road. I was barely 22 when he passed and was filled with the arrogance and confusion that comes with that age. It took me about eight years to walk through the doors of a lodge, but since then I have felt closer to him than I did when he was alive. In fact, on Thursday night I was scanning a bunch of old pictures for my grandmothers upcoming birthday party and I came across several of him wearing different lodge items, a hat, or shirt or whatever and it brought a tear to my eye.